Surname Meerkam - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Meerkam: What does the surname Meerkam mean?
The last name Meerkam is an uncommon Dutch toponymic surname (a surname derived from the location of a person's origin). It is derived from the Dutch word meer, meaning "lake," and kam, which translates as "bend." The name is thought to refer to a person of native Dutch descent who lived near a lake or bend in a river.
Meerkam is often associated with having strong ties to nature - indicating a person who is in tune with the environment or enjoys the outdoors. The name is believed to have been derived from the ancestry of Dutch farmers, most likely living in a predominantly rural or agricultural area.
The surname Meerkam has a unique and pleasant sound that could be interpreted as symbolic of the peacefulness that comes with living near a lake or bend. It is likely that it was taken on, either consciously or unconsciously, by those who wanted to be perceived by others as having a strong connection with nature, or maybe even a spiritual bond.
The last name Meerkam is quite rare, but its empirical and naturalistic meaning renders it an interesting and captivating name.Order DNA origin analysis
Meerkam: Where does the name Meerkam come from?
The surname Meerkam is believed to have originated from German ancestry, and is commonly found in Germany today. It may have spread to other parts of Europe in past centuries, but most of the individuals with the name today still live in Germany.
The name Meerkam is not particularly common in Germany. It is associated with some German noble families, especially from the North Rhine-Westphalia region. Records of the name appear around the 12th century and have been found in several locations across the country since then.
In most cases, the root of the Meerkam is believed to be either the Old German “Maer”, meaning “moor”, or “Meer”, meaning “lake”. Such a belief is supported by records stating that the Meerkam were previous water-associated families, likely leading tracing of the last name to NE Germany, West Prussia, and Pomerania.
The name can also be spelled with slight variations such as Miorckam, Miercam, Merkam, etc. However, these versions are quite uncommon.
Despite the history and traditions that come with the Meerkam name, it is not especially widespread today. As such, any individuals carrying the surname should consider themselves fortunate to be able to trace their heritage back so far.
Variations of the surname Meerkam
Meerkam is a surname of Dutch or German origin, and is derived from the combination of two words "meer" and "kamp". The literal meaning of the word is "field of lakes". It is likely that the original holder of the name originated from a location known for its lakes.
Variants and spellings of Meerkam include: Meerkem, Merkem, Meerkamp, Meerkemp, Merkamp, Merkemp, Merkm, Merkmper and Merkmpers.
Other surnames of the same origin include Meerfeld, Mersmann, Mergeweide, Meerschaar, Merkbeeld, Merkler, Mersbosch, Merwin and Meerwinger.
Meerkam is also an uncommon spelling variant of Meyer, an equally Dutch/German surname meaning "steward" or "farmer". Meyer is a fairly common surname in the United States, and its many variants and spellings include Mayer, Maier, Mayers, Myer, Mar, Meyers, Maire, Moir, Mei, Meir, Mor, Mehr, Meier, Maeyer, Meyerhoff, Meyering, and many more.
It is also possible that the Meerkam surname is a less common spelling variant of the more popular Dutch surname “van Mierlo”, which is derived from the town of the same name. Names such as Mierlo, van Mierlo, Mierlemans, Marlier, and Mierloer are all possible variants.
Famous people with the name Meerkam
- Leslie Meerkam: Former mayor of McAllen, Texas in the United States from 2013-2016.
- electing Meerkam: German footballer, currently playing for the SC Paderborn 07 team in the German Bundesliga.
- Dr. Frank Meerkam: Famous German author and scholar on the topics of corporate governance and leadership.
- Andy Meerkam: American entrepreneur and investor. Co-founder of the social media platform Redditt.
- Louis Meerkam: German-born American World War I flying ace credited with 7 aerial victories.
- Hans-Willi Meerkam: German composer and musicologist.
- Johann Meerkam: German scientist, mathematician and physicist.
- Günther Meerkam: Austrian writer and author, known for his satirical fiction and drama.
- Hermann Meerkam: German general in World War II.
- Randall Meerkam: Renowned American wildlife photographer.
- Ephraim Meerkam: American Doctor and founder of the Meerkam Hospital, located in San Diego, California.
- Florence Meerkam: French-born author of books about cooking, children’s literature and fiction.
- Justin Meerkam: American entrepreneur, venture capitalist, and angel investor, founder of the Meerkam Group which provides financial and business advice to startups.
- Emanuel Meerkam: Bavarian-born composer and musicologist.
- Maria Meerkam: Swiss painter, sculptor and installation artist.
- Ty Meerkam: American video game designer and artist, known for his work on the popular titles Bloodborne and Fallout 4.
- Stephen Meerkam: British Army General and Chief of the General Staff from 2013-2017.
- Ava Meerkam: German-born actress and model, best known for her role in the television series Grimm.
- Zara Meerkam: British singer-songwriter and actress.
- Lucille Meerkam: French opera singer, best known for her performances at the Paris and Vienna opera houses.