Surname Monrow - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Monrow: What does the surname Monrow mean?
The surname Monrow is believed to be of Scottish origin, specifically from the highlands portion of the country. It is derived from a Gaelic patronymic name, originally Mac an Rothaich, which means "son of the man from the roe or moor." Over time, the name evolved into Monro and eventually spelled as Monrow by some lines of the family. The clan associated with this name, Clan Munro, has a long and storied history in Scotland. Thus, the name Monrow is associated with heritage of strength, courage, and resilience. It is important to keep in mind that spelling variations are common throughout history for many last names, and Monrow is no exception.Order DNA origin analysis
Monrow: Where does the name Monrow come from?
The last name Monrow is an uncommon name. It is predominantly found in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia. In the United States, most of the Monrow families are concentrated in Virginia and North Carolina, with some also living in Ohio, Florida, and Tennessee. The Monrow name appears to have a British origin, as many Monrow households in England are concentrated in Lancashire and Yorkshire counties. The majority of Monrows in Australia reside in Queensland, with some present in Western Australia and Victoria.
The Monrow name has a large range of variation, including Monroe, Monro, and Monrow. The variations possibly resulted from poor spelling in early census records and intentions to anglicize Gaelic spelling. It is believed that the Monrow surname is derived from the French names Monro or Munro, which were used to describe people who lived in or by the mountain. The Monrow name was preserved by Gaelic-speaking Scottish and Irish clans and eventually adopted in the United States and other parts of the British Isles upon operation of emigration.
It is likely that the Monrow name was brought to Virginia during Winthrop’s Great Migration in the mid-14th century. During this period, many British settlers arrived in the Virginia area seeking a new life. This was especially true for Monrow families, as many of the clan leaders in Britain sought to enlist new people to populate the colonial territories.
Today, the last name Monrow is an uncommon name found all over the world. It predominantly lives in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia, especially in the states of Virginia and North Carolina.
Variations of the surname Monrow
The surname Monrow has several spellings, variants, and surnames of the same origin. Monrow itself is derived from the Old English spelling of Maunder, which was an occupational name for a mason or builder. The variant spellings of Monrow include Maunder, Monro, Monrow, Munrow, Monrow, Munden, and Mundon.
The most common pronunciation of the surname is mond or maunder, though the pronunciation of each variant is dependent on the location in which they are located. Monro is most often heard in Scotland, while Mundon is the most common in England.
Other surnames of similar origin include Maurin, Maurer, Maunder, Mawer, Mauran, and more.
The surnames Monrow, Moor and More are variants to and closely related to Monrow. These variant surnames are most likely derived from a French surname “Moré”, although an English variant “Mort” may also contribute.
The surname Monrow, as part of the larger family of surnames, can be traced to the 12th century in Britain when it was first used as a way to distinguish one family from another. It is believed to ultimately have Norman French origins, as the term ‘maunder’ was used to refer to someone who worked with stone, stucco and mortar.
The older spelling of Monrow may have been Maunder, and this spelling may have been used until the mid-17th century, when Monrow became more popular.
Famous people with the name Monrow
- Phonte Coleman: also known as Phonte, is an American hip hop and neo soul artist, formerly of the now-defunct North Carolina group Little Brother. 2. Cindy Morgan: American actress, singer and songwriter best known for her roles in Tron, Caddyshack and Lazer Tag Academy.
- Dre Monrow: American singer, songwriter, producer.
- Mindy Kaling: American actress, writer, producer, and director.
- Ashton Monrow: Former American Football player and running back who played for the NFL’s Denver Broncos in 2017.
- Avery Monrow: American fashion model active since 2009, and best known for her work with CoverGirl, Guess, and L'Oreal.
- Esai Morales: American actor best known for his roles in La Bamba, NYPD Blue, and Criminal Minds.
- Tayla Monrow: American actress best known for recurring roles on Disney's Raven's Home and Netflix's Alexa & Katie.
- Alex Monrow: British actor and director with roles in Game of Thrones, Killing Eve, and London Spy.
- NATHAN MONROW: American rapper and record producer signed to Roc Nation.