Surname Olivera - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'O'
Olivera: What does the surname Olivera mean?
The surname Olivera is of Spanish origin and is derived from the Latin word 'olivera' meaning "olive tree." It's an occupational or locational surname given originally to those who lived in or near an olive grove or who worked as growers or dealers of olives. It is predominantly found in Spanish-speaking countries like Spain, Mexico, and Argentina but also in Portugal and Brazil (as Oliveira). The use of surnames was often associated with property rights and land ownership; hence those bearing the surname Olivera were most likely linked to these professions or locations. The olive, being a traditional symbol of peace and wisdom in various cultures, implies a positive connotation to this last name. However, different branches of the family could have different meanings associated with the name depending on their history and origin.Order DNA origin analysis
Olivera: Where does the name Olivera come from?
The last name Olivera is most commonly found in Latin American countries such as Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Chile, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, and Venezuela. The name is also found in parts of the United States, Canada, and parts of Europe.
The last name Olivera traces its origin to Spain and its variations, Olivares or Oliviera, can be found in the Portuguese, Spanish and Galician languages. It is thought to be derived from the Latin word “oliva”, which means “olive tree”, and it essentially means “of the olive tree”.
Olivera is not a surname that you will often see in American media, but since electro-tropical music has become increasingly popular in the past decade, we can now catch glimpses of it in popular songs. Artists like J Balvin, Daddy Yankee and Rita Indiana have all used it in their music.
So, if you have Olivera in your name, you can be proud of its origin and its increasing visibility in current cultural scenarios.
Variations of the surname Olivera
Olivera is a Spanish surname that has many variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin.
Variant spellings of Olivera include Olivares, Oliveira, Oliviera, Ollivier, Olivar, and Olivarra.
The surnames of the same origin are Olivares Rueda, Olivares Veloso, Olivarez, Olivaraz, Olivarran, and Olivarras. These surnames are derived from the root olive, which is a tree that produces edible fruits.
Variants of Olivera have spread to different countries due to migration and colonization. Variants are found in Spain, Portuguese-speaking nations, South America, Philippines, and various parts of Europe.
The use of Olivera as a first name can be traced back to the Middle Ages. In certain regions of Europe, people with this name were viewed as warriors, as well as protectors of vineyards and forests.
In Spain, Olivera means olive lover, and in Ireland, it means warrior. In Portuguese, it can be translated as golden strength. As a result of its versatility, the name Olivera has come to symbolize strength, loyalty, and bravery.
The variations of Olivera are representative of the many paths that our ancestors have taken to get to where we are today. Whether our ancestors hailed from Spain, Portugal, or the Philippines, the meaning of Olivera can be interpreted differently in different cultures and languages, but the same concept of strength, loyalty, and bravery remain.
Famous people with the name Olivera
- Carlos Olivera: American martial artist and actor of Philippine descent.
- Hugo Olivera: Uruguayan footballer.
- Alejandro Olivera: Chilean television actor.
- Luis Alberto Olivera: Argentine footballer.
- Latoiya Olivera: American singer and songwriter.
- Lucio Enrique Olivera: Argentine footballer.
- Shaqir O'Neal: American former professional basketball player, born Shaquille Rashaun Olivera.
- Efrain Antonio Olivera: Argentine football referee.
- Ivanildo Olivera KCMG CD: former First Sea Lord of the British Royal Navy.
- Diana Olivera: Colombian politician.
- Angela Maria Olivera Ochoa: Chilean actress, television presenter, and former model.
- Juan Carlos Olivera: Argentine field hockey player.
- Leona Olivera: Filipino-American actress and comedian.
- Romeo Olivera: Argentine actor and comedian.
- Sergio Olivera: Uruguayan footballer.
- Nancy Olivera: Chilean actress.
- Baldomero Olivera: Mexican American biochemist and biologist.
- Angel Olivera: Argentine boxer.
- Juan Antonio Olivera: Spanish Paralympic swimmer.
- Trina Olivera: American software engineer and entrepreneur.