Surname Wilens - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'W'
Wilens: What does the surname Wilens mean?
The last name Wilens is of Irish and Jewish origin. The Irish version of the name is derived from the Gaelic ‘Uilleann’, which means ‘a threat or warning’ in the Irish language. It is also thought that the last name originated from the Irish ‘O’Maolisa’, which means ‘one who pays tribute’ in the native language.
The Jewish version of the name is derived from the middle Hebrew name ‘Wilen’, which translates roughly to ‘one whom God has always kept’. It is also thought to originate from the Germanic ‘Wille’, which translates as ‘one who is willing’.
Other variants of the name include Willens, Wileman, Willman, Wilma, Wilmanson, Wilmerson, Willenson and many others.
The name Wilens is often traced back to the 12th century, when it first appeared as a spelling variation on the Irish name ‘Uilleann’. It spread quickly throughout Europe during the Middle Ages and eventually made its way to the United States. Today, the name is most common in North America, Australia and New Zealand, though it is also widely found throughout Europe, particularly in Ireland, Scotland, England, and Germany.Order DNA origin analysis
Wilens: Where does the name Wilens come from?
The last name Wilens is most commonly found in Israel today. An estimated 4,000 bearers of the name currently live in the country. The name is known to be of Ashkenazi Jewish origin, meaning it was brought to Israel by Jews of European (Ashkenazi) ancestry. The name is multifaceted in its roots, stemming from the Slavic ‘veln’ which means ‘who wants’, as well as the Jewish Hebrew ‘velen’ meaning ‘we will protect’. It is also believed to derive from the Yiddish ‘voolruz’ which means ‘proud people’.
The Wilens family can trace its history back to the Baltic region before World War II. The family frequently experienced persecution due to religious and ethnic differences, leading them—like many other Jewish families—to emigrate to Israel to begin new lives. After settling, the Wilens family established a clothing business that continues to this day.
Despite its initial persecution, the Wilens family has endured and prospered due to its spirit of resilience. Having stayed true to their faith and culture, their story has become a proud part of Israeli history. Though today it is less common to find the Wilens name outside of Israel, the population of 4,000 bearers of the name serves as a testament to the family’s perseverance and ongoing commitment to their homeland.
Variations of the surname Wilens
The variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin for the surname Wilens are Willens, Wilensky, Willensky, Willinski, Wilinski, Wilhams, Wilhamsy, Wilhans, Wilhansky, Wilhansi, and Willhams.
The surname Wilens is of Jewish origin and is an Ashkenazi Jewish surname; it is derived from the Hebrew given name ‘Yellin’ or from the German surname ‘Willens’. The name Yellin is derived from the Hebrew word for water, ‘Mayim’, and was typically given to those born in rainy periods.
The surname Wilens and its variants are also found throughout Europe, the United States, and Canada. In the United States, it is most commonly found in Pennsylvania, Illinois, New York, and California, while in Canada, it is particularly found in the provinces of Quebec and Ontario.
The variants and spellings of Wilens include Willens, Wilensky, Willensky, Willinski, Wilinski, Wilhams, Wilhamsy, Wilhans, Wilhansky, Wilhansi, and Willhams. These variants and spellings are all derived from the same origin, either from the name Yellin or from the German surname Willens.
Famous people with the name Wilens
- Matt Wilens: Matt Wilens is an American television writer and producer. He has written for productions such as Modern Family, New Girl, and Fresh Off the Boat.
- Jack Wilensky: Jack Wilensky is an award-winning actor, writer, and comedian, who has appeared in the films While We're Young, The Bronze, and Lap Dance.
- Robert Wilensky: Robert Wilensky is a computer scientist who was one of the authors of the influential 1982 book "Planning for AI."
- Jack Wilens: Jack Wilens is a professional skateboarder, actor, and entrepreneur. He has appeared in the films High on the Hog and Lords of Dogtown.
- Marc Wilensky: Marc Wilensky is an American songwriter, singer, and producer. Some of his most popular works include Off and Running and Come Over.
- Jessie Wilens: Jessie Wilens is a beauty blogger and makeup artist. Her work has been published in magazines such as Cosmopolitan and Glamour.
- Amy Wilens: Amy Wilens is a popular artist who has exhibited her works in numerous prestigious galleries and museums around the world.
- Shelley Wilensky: Shelley Wilensky is an American author and professor whose work has appeared in many anthologies.
- Paul Wilensky: Paul Wilensky is a professor of biology at Tufts University. He is known for his work on cellular automata and artificial intelligence.
- Jay Wilensky: Jay Wilensky is the founder and CEO of WRLD Media Group, a technology and media company.