Surname Badge - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Badge: What does the surname Badge mean?
The surname Badge is of Anglo-Saxon origin, derived from the Old English pre 7th century word "bæcg", which means ridge. The word "bæcg" in some circumstances might also refer to an angle or corner. Thus, this surname possibly originated as a topographic name for a person who lived on or by a ridge or an angle. As most surnames during these era were derived from a person's occupation, location or personal characteristics, it's likely that the original bearer lived in or near such geographical features. It should be noted that the exact meaning might vary as surnames have evolved over centuries and can have different connotations in different cultures. Surname distribution data indicates that the name Badge is most prevalent in the United States and highest density in Australia. Variations of this surname include Bage, Batch, and Beach. Despite the potential associations with the modern word "badge", there is not typically a connection as that term didn't carry its contemporary meaning until many centuries later.
Badge: Where does the name Badge come from?
The surname Badge is of Anglo-Saxon origin and it derives from the given name Batcock or Batkin. These names were thought to be diminutives of Bartholomew, meaning "Bart's son." The name might also have been given to a person who made or sold badges. Surnames often came from occupations, physical characteristics, or from a father's first name during the time when surnames first began to be used.
However, the last name Badge is not highly common today and does not appear in significant numbers in any particular region based on available population data. It is a rare surname and might be found more in those places where Anglo-Saxon names are generally prevalent, such as in countries with a history of British influence or immigration, like the United States, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom. Ultimately, the specific prevalence of the Badge surname in the present world remains generally scattered and relatively low.
Variations of the surname Badge
The surname Badge is assumed to be of German origin due to its prevalence in German-speaking countries. Despite the similar spelling, it is not to be confused with the English word 'badge'. Variants of the name can include Badg, Badger, and Badgen. In some cases, it could possibly be a variant of the German surname Bade, which is derived from the personal name Bado. It could also be a metonymic occupational name derived from Middle English 'bagg', referring to a maker or seller of bags.
In terms of spellings, there could be instances where the name is written as Badghe or Badje. As in many cases, surnames often manipulated the spelling to suit specific regional dialects or to create differentiation between families.
Other surnames that could possibly be related to Badge due to similar pronunciation, particularly in German dialects, could be Bach or Batch. However, definitive connections between these surnames would require in-depth genealogical research.
While these suggestions give an idea of possible variants and related surnames, it's important to consult historical records, local registries or professional genealogists for a comprehensive understanding of the surname Badge and its variants.
Famous people with the name Badge
- Richie Sambora: American rock guitarist best known for playing with the band Bon Jovi.
- Keanu Reeves: Canadian actor and musician most notable for his role as Neo in the “Matrix” franchise.
- Benjamin Badge: British actor known for his work on the British comedy sketch show “The Fast Show”.
- Bill Badge: American politician and activist who served as a US Representative from Tennessee for fourteen years.
- J.D. Badge: British comedic actor, writer and director, best known for his comedy series “The League of Gentlemen”.
- Claire Badger: American singer and songwriter, most notably associated with the 70s folk rock band Bread.
- Peter Badge: Australian music producer and composer best known for working with artists like Kylie Minogue and INXS.
- Davion Badge: American football player, currently playing for the New York Giants.
- Olivia Badge: British actress and model, best known for her roles in the films “Me Before You” and “Game of Thrones”.
- Terry Badge: British actor, writer and producer, best known for his role as Stan in the popular British sitcom “The Vicar of Dibley”.