Surname Barrineau - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Barrineau: What does the surname Barrineau mean?
The last name Barrineau is of French origin and is derived from the Old French words “baron” and “neau” which translate to “nobleman” and “new” respectively. This suggests that the original bearer of the name was a newly-minted nobleman, perhaps a show of upward mobility in Medieval French society.
The earliest records of the Barrineau family date back to the 14th century, when legal records and tax rolls suggest that a “Jean Barrinot” is cited in the records of the small market town of Martin in the Pas-de-Calais area of Northern France. This Jean Barrinot was likely a forefather of the Barrineau family, considering that variations in spelling were common during this era and Barrinot and Barrineau are interchangeable.
Spelling variations of the Barrineau name include Barinon, Barinot, Barinaux and de Barinot. The coat of arms associated with the Barrineau family depicts a blue shield with two gold popcorn-shaped fleur-de-lis, with three silver saxons, denoting a man of arms.
The Barrineau family has spread across France and other parts of Europe and eventually further around the world, with members of the family now found in Europe, the United States, Canada, Australia, and even South Africa and the Caribbean. Adding to the beauty of the family’s history is the many accomplishments of its members - from historical figures such as Marguerite Barinot, to leading business professionals and entrepreneurs, the Barrineau family is a proud one deeply rooted in culture and pride.Order DNA origin analysis
Barrineau: Where does the name Barrineau come from?
The last name Barrineau is most commonly found in the United States. According to the U.S. Census Bureau data, there were 231 individuals with the last name Barrineau living in the United States during the time period of the last census. Of these individuals, the majority (164) live in the state of Florida. Many of those individuals are concentrated in the Panhandle region (Escambia, Walton, and Bay Counties) and in the St. Johns and Duval Counties along the eastern coast.
The surname Barrineau is believed to be of French origin, as the French Country of Aude is the ancestral home of this surname. The nearby French and Spanish colonies of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama could have also influenced the distribution of the surname. With the immigration of French-speaking citizens in the early 1800s, Barrineau became a common name in the South.
In addition to the U.S., the surname is also found in other countries, mainly in Europe and South America, with many people of French-speaking descent. In fact, individuals named Barrineau are located in countries all around the world, including Brazil, Spain, France, Canada, and Germany.
Variations of the surname Barrineau
The surname Barrineau is a French surname, believed to have been derived from the word 'Barrin', which may possibly have referred to a potter or a tile layer. Variants of the Barrineau surname include Barineau and Barrineau, as well as Barinea, Barrianeaux, and Barrianault.
The neighborhood of Barrineau Park in Florida was named after the early pioneer and settler, William Barrineau, who settled in the area in the 1880s. Barrineau is also found as a variation of the name Berneaux, sometimes spelled Barneaux.
In Canada, there is a small hamlet in Quebec with the name Barrineau. It is believed that the first settlers of the area had been Barrineau family members who resided in France and moved to the Location during the 19th century.
The name Barrineau is also found in other countries, including Australia, Ireland, and the United States. In Australia, the surname Barrineau is sometimes spelled Barrenell or Barranell. In Ireland, the Barrineau spelling is found more often than other variants, with a branch of the family having settled in the south of Ireland during the 18th century.
The variations of the name Barrineau all share the same root and are believed to have originated from Barrin in France. Over time, the name has been spelled differently in various regions, possibly due to regional accents and dialects used for pronunciation. Whatever the spelling, the Barrineau surname has a long and interesting history.
Famous people with the name Barrineau
- Chris Barrineau: Chris Barrineau is a Cinematographer, Editor and Director, well known for his work on television shows such as Legion, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and The Shield.
- Josie Barrineau: Josie Barrineau is an American fashion model and entrepreneur, most notably known for her appearances in magazines such as Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, and Elle.
- Ken Barrineau: Ken Barrineau is an American film and television producer, best known for his work on Iron Man 3, Avengers: Age of Ultron and the Netflix series Stranger Things.
- Tony Barrineau: Tony Barrineau is an American football coach, most recently renowned for his role on the staff of the LSU Football team as the Director of Player Personnel.
- Abigail Barrineau: Abigail Barrineau is a professional equestrian, having competed in the 2012 London Summer Olympics in dressage on behalf of the United States.
- Lawton Barrineau: Lawton Barrineau is an American attorney, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, most notably known for his law firm, Barrineau PLLC, located in Houston, Texas.
- Granville Barrineau: Granville Barrineau is an American film producer, executive producer, and director, having both executive produced and directed 10 TV movies released since 2009.
- Maurice Barrineau: Maurice Barrineau is a known Politician in South Carolina, having served in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1983 to 1993.
- Catherine Kim Barrineau: Catherine Kim Barrineau is a professor specializing in Internal Medicine at the University of South Florida.
- Carol Barrineau: Carol Barrineau is an American film and theater actress, best known for her roles in the plays Julius Caesar and Measure for Measure at the Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival.