Surname Brookshaw - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Brookshaw: What does the surname Brookshaw mean?
The surname Brookshaw is a habitational name, deriving from the location of Brookshaw in Lancashire, England. It is believed to have been derived from the Old English words "broc," meaning "brook," and "sceaga," meaning "a wood or a thicket," indicating that the original bearer of this name was likely from the area of Brookshaw, which was located by a wood or thicket.
The Brookshaw surname has been associated with the Brookshaw family of England since the mid-14th century. Descendants of this family eventually spread throughout the British Isles and beyond. Now, people with the Brookshaw name can be found in many countries around the world.
The Brookshaw family is known for its members who are outspoken, creative, and independent-minded. They are resilient, and they will take on any challenge in order to achieve success. Many members of the Brookshaw family are successful in business, law, politics, and the arts.
The Brookshaw family crest features a dragon, symbolizing strength, a swan, which is a symbol of fidelity, and a cornucopia, which is a sign of abundance. Together, these symbols reflect the intelligence, hard work, and loyalty of this family.
Overall, the last name Brookshaw is associated with strength, resilience, and success. It is a unique and meaningful surname that is sure to be passed down from generation to generation, carrying the legacy of the Brookshaw family.
Brookshaw: Where does the name Brookshaw come from?
The last name Brookshaw is most commonly found today in the United Kingdom, with its first known roots in Lancashire and neighboring counties. The name is derived from "Brokesha," which is an Olde English word for traditional English brook.
Since the 19th century, the Brookshaw family has spread across the UK, often to places like London, North Wales, Bristol and Manchester. It can also be seen in Northern Ireland and Scotland, although in smaller numbers. It has a presence in the United States, Australia and Canada, often through emigration.
The surname Brookshaw is one of the most common surnames in the UK, according to the World Names Profiler, and it ranks among the top 2,500 last names in England, Wales and Scotland, though not quite in the top 1,000.
Given its English roots, the Brookshaw name is often associated with the English regions of Lancashire and the Northwest of the UK, though today its presence is more widespread across the nation. Despite its common occurrence in the UK, it is still an uncommon name further afield.
Variations of the surname Brookshaw
The surname Brookshaw is an English surname that has seen many variants in spelling. The most common spellings of this name include: Brookshaw, Brookshay, Brookshee, Brookshey, Brookshea, Brookshey, and Brookshegh. This surname is also seen under slightly different spellings such as: Brockshaw, Brockshay, Brockesha, Brockeshay, Brockeshey, and Brockeshay.
In addition to these spellings, there are a variety of surnames that have the same origin as Brookshaw. These surnames include: Earbrook, Earburk, Ebershank, Ebrahc, Ebresha, Ebreshaw, a Broxov, Borckose, Brockshon, Broksose, Broxshay, Broxshaw, Brockshoe, Brocksha, Brokshe, Brockshay, Brookseigh, and Broxshay.
These surnames are often different languages or dialects and are found in several different countries around the world. The claimant of a surname with similar origin of Brookshaw may also various combinations of these spellings such as: Earbrookshew, Earburkshe, Ebershankshay, Ebreshay, Brockshonshe, Broxsosel, Broxshawl, Brockshoeshay, Brookseighl, and Broxsha.
The surname Brookshaw is assumed to have a topographical origin. This means that the surname was probably used to designate someone connected to a certain area. It was likely used to denote someone who lived near or resided beside a stream or brook.
Famous people with the name Brookshaw
- Meg Brookshaw: Meg Brookshaw is an Australian actress who is most known for her roles in Dancing with the Stars, Rookie Blue, Supergirl, and Eyes Unbroken.
- Rose Brookshaw: Rose Brookshaw is a Canadian ice dancer. She is the 2020 Canadian National Junior Champion with partner William Hubaug.
- Chris Brookshaw: Chris Brookshaw is an American basketball coach who currently serves as an assistant coach with the Bradley Braves men’s basketball team.
- Alfred Brookshaw: Alfred William Brookshaw was an English engraver, illustrator and publisher who worked mainly in the Victorian era.
- Justin Brookshaw: Justin Brookshaw is an American rower who competed in the 2012 Olympics in London and earned a bronze medal.
- Clifford Brookshaw: Clifford Brookshaw was a British journalist and writer who wrote for The Times from 1922 to 1940.
- Alfred D. Brookshaw Jr.: Alfred D. Brookshaw Jr. was an American track and field athlete who competed in the 1932 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.
- Steven Brookshaw: Steven Brookshaw is an English rugby union player who plays for Worcester Warriors in the Premiership.
- Herbert Brookshaw: Herbert Brookshaw was an English professional soccer player who played for Newcastle United F.C. in the 1800s.
- Les Brookshaw: Les Brookshaw was an English cartoonist and illustrator who worked primarily on comic strips.