Surname Brookshier - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Brookshier: What does the surname Brookshier mean?
The last name Brookshier is an English/Scottish name of Anglo-Saxon origin. It has a few spelling variations, such as Broxshire and Brockshire. The name is derived from the Old English word “broc” (old English for “badger”) and “scir” (old English for “district” or “shire”). Thus, “Brockshire” translates to “the district of the badger”.
It is likely that the family from which the name Brookshier derives originally resided in an area near a large supply of badgers. This could have been either a physical location or simply a nickname given to a family. The surname may also have evolved from nicknames given to people with unusual characteristics, such as badger-like features.
The earliest known recorded use of the name Brookshier (as Brockshire) was in Buckinghamshire, England in 1316. Over the centuries, the name has spread throughout England, Scotland, and other parts of the world. There are currently many individuals with the last name Brookshier, and it is known to be particularly popular in the USA.
The Brookshier name is associated with strength, determination, and resilience. It is thought that individuals with this last name tend to approach any situation in life with a great amount of positivity and fortitude.Order DNA origin analysis
Brookshier: Where does the name Brookshier come from?
The surname Brookshier is most common in the United States today, particularly in Pennsylvania. Data from the United States Census Bureau reveal that it is the 1,014th most common surname in the country, although not widely dispersed. In Pennsylvania, Brookshier is the 123rd most common surname, and is found in many small towns, rural areas, and in large cities like Philadelphia. It is especially prevalent in the central and south-central parts of the state, as well as in the eastern Pennsylvania panhandle. It is most commonly associated with Germanic ancestry, although it can have other origins as well.
Other parts of the world with a significant presence of Brookshier include Canada, where the surname is the 2,794th most common, and Australia, where it is the 1,895th most common. It is also found in England (the 6,392nd most common surname) and elsewhere in Europe, as well as India.
The earliest known use of the Brookshier surname was in 1415 in Germany, making it an old and established surname in European countries. With so many Brookshier families living all over the world today, this Ages-old surname is sure to remain common for generations to come.
Variations of the surname Brookshier
The surname Brookshier derives from Old English words and shares an origin with a multitude of variations, spellings, and surnames. Brookshier is generally thought to be a patronymic surname meaning the “son of Brooke”. Through the ages the use of various suffixes were adopted, such as ‘-shier’, ‘-shire’, ‘-sheer’, ‘-shyre’ and the like. As with most surnames, regional spellings and dialects often produced additional variations.
Common variants of the Brookshier surname may include: Brookshire, Brookeshier, Brooksher, Brookshier, Brooksher, Brookeshire, Broxier, Brouxhire, Broxshire, Broukshire, Broukshire, Bruckshire, Bruxier, Bruxhire, Bruxshire, Bruxshier, Bruxsheer, Brouxsheer, Brouxshear, Broxshear, Breuxshear, Breuxshear, Breuxsheer, Bricxhire, Bricxshire, Brixxhire and Brixxshire.
In addition to variations associated with the Brookshier surname, there are related surnames which may be used interchangeably and can be traced to the same origin, such as: Brooks, Broux, Bruck, Brux, Brix, Bricks, Brucks, and Brox.
The evolution of the English language and the fact that the Brookshier surname has been around for hundreds of years may have created many variations and generations of families. These variations can be found across many countries, and while they may all have the same origin, it is important to remember that each family is unique and their own line of the Brookshier surname may have been subject to unique influences that no other family has experienced.
Famous people with the name Brookshier
- Tom Brookshier: former NFL and NCAA Football player who was an analyst on CBS Sports.
- Joe Brookshier: former NCAA Football quarterback and coach who had a long career at Princeton University.
- Billy Brookshier: former NFL halfback who played for the Philadelphia Eagles throughout the 1950s.
- Phil Brookshier: former college baseball coach who guided the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point to the 1984 World Series.
- Jack Brookshier: NFL guard who played for the Pittsburgh Steelers and St. Louis Cardinals in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
- Bob Brookshier: former NFL player and broadcaster.
- Pat Brookshier: former Philadelphia Eagles safety and longtime broadcaster for Fox Sports.
- Ann Brookshier: pioneering American female sports broadcaster who covered college football for CBS Sports.
- Dan Brookshier: sportscaster for CBS Sports and ESPN Radio, who is currently the play-by-play voice of the St. Louis BattleHawks, a professional football team in the XFL.
- Heath Brookshier: professional golfer who previously played on the Tour and PGA Tour Champions.