Surname Butkus - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Butkus: What does the surname Butkus mean?
The last name Butkus is derived from a Lithuanian word, ‘butkus’, meaning “awaken” or “growl”. This origin is taken from the Lithuanian verb of the same name, “butkauti” or “butkuoti” (to awaken). It seems that this surname likely indicated the character of the family, as the name may have signified an ancestor who had a strong, bold personality.
The Butkus family name is very common in the Lithuanian region. It is a prevalent name found in some other countries like Poland, Latvia and Crossia. However, it is most prevalent in Lithuania, where it is the 6th most common last name. It seems to have been in use since the 1800s or earlier.
The Butkus family name is most famously associated with Hall of Fame linebacker Dick Butkus, who played professional football for the Bears and Rams between 1965 and 1973. His tenacious play earned him the nickname “the monster of the Midway” and is a fitting example of the attributes embodied in the Butkus surname.
Overall, the surname Butkus conveys a strong and confident attitude. It carries with it the idea of a bold, fearless personality that is awake to the needs of those around them, and is ready to protect them.Order DNA origin analysis
Butkus: Where does the name Butkus come from?
The last name Butkus is most common in Lithuania today. It was first found in the 17th century in what is now the contemporary city of Vilnius. Butkus was first used as a patronymic name, derived from the first name of one of the family's ancestors. Since then, the name has been spread throughout the countries of Lithuania, Latvia, Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine.
Within Lithuania itself, Butkus is one of the most common surnames, ranking 28th in the nation. In Lithuania, the name's popularity econd can be seen in the significant number of people who bear the surname, accounting for nearly 0.4% of the total Lithuanian population.
Butkus is also the second most common surname in Latvia. The majority of Latvian people who bear the name can trace their roots back to Lithuania, although some families are descended from immigrants who originally came from other parts of Belarus and Ukraine. In Latvia, the Butkus surname is most concentrated in the areas of Riga, Vidzeme, and Latgale.
The name Butkus has spread to many other countries too, including the United States and Canada. It can be found across America, but is most common in regions with larger Lithuanian-American populations. In Canada, the surname is especially common in the provinces of Ontario and Manitoba.
Variations of the surname Butkus
The variant spellings of the surname Butkus are Butkienės, Butkutės, and Butkusas. The surname can also be found spelled as Butsius, Bautsius, Butkauskas, Budkis, Butkys, Budkevičius, Budkiewicz, Butelskis, Buteks, Batsius, Batekauskas, Batkauskas, Bučkis, and Butkevičius.
Butkus is a locational surname derived from a place in Lithuania. It is an old Lithuanian name referring to a place with a ridge of some kind, often referring to a hill. The surname is found primarily in Lithuania. However, the surnames of Butkus and Butkevičius are also found in the United States, with Butkus being the more common variant in the U.S.
Historically the surname Butkus was used as both an occupational and a patronymic name. It was used as an occupational name to refer to someone who worked with a ridge or hill. It was also used as a patronymic name to refer to a son of someone with the surname. Variations of the name could also be used in various forms such as Butkauskas which pertained to someone who had strong shoulders.
The surname Butkus is also found in several countries of the world apart from Lithuania such as the United States, Canada, Australia, Germany, and the United Kingdom. The variants of the surname Butkus have also been used in forms such as the Russian form Batsius.
In conclusion, the surname Butkus is believed to have originated in Lithuania and has spread to other countries of the world. It is also known by its variant spellings such as Butkienės, Butkutės, and Butkguskas, as well as its patronymic and occupational forms. The surname has a long and detailed history dating back centuries and is still found in various countries of the world even today.
Famous people with the name Butkus
- Dick Butkus: American football linebacker, known for his ferocity on the field.
- Mike Butkus: Former American baseball player who played for several teams in the Major League Baseball from 1958 to 1971.
- Bob Butkus: American actor and voice actor, known for his roles in movies such as Forrest Gump and Apollo 13.
- Bill Butkus: American football player and coach, spent seven seasons as a tight end in the NFL with the Chicago Cardinals and the Washington Redskins.
- Jim Butkus: American football coach and former player, longtime assistant coach for the University of Wisconsin football team.
- Brent Butkus: Former NBA player who played a total of five seasons with the Chicago Bulls.
- Joe Butkus: American football coach and former player, spent four seasons in the NFL with the Baltimore Ravens.
- Jon Butkus: Former American football linebacker who played for the Chicago Bears and San Francisco 49ers.
- Jerry Butkus: American professional wrestler who wrestled in the National Wrestling Alliance from 1956 to 1975.
- Carl Butkus: American former professional basketball player, played for the Philadelphia Warriors in the 1960–61 season.