Surname Gabershtro - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'G'
Gabershtro: What does the surname Gabershtro mean?
The surname Gabershtro is a Jewish surname of German-Yiddish origin, most common among those of Ashkenazi descent. It is derived from the German words “Gaber”, meaning “godfather”, and “Strasse” meaning “street”. This suggests that the original bearer of the surname Gabershtro was a godfather or landowner who lived on a street where he or she was the godfather of the local community.
The surname Gabershtro is also associated with the "red string tradition" of the Kabbalah. According to Jewish tradition, a red string is tied around the wrist of converts and those born on special days and is considered spiritual protection. The name Gabershtro may be the representation of this red string, as it roughly translates to "red path".
The surname Gabershtro was most commonly found in the areas of the former Soviet Union, particularly Belarus, Ukraine, Latvia, and Lithuania. Today, the surname is still common in these regions, although there are some bearers of the name in North America, including the United States and Canada.
In conclusion, the last name Gabershtro has its roots in Germany and likely indicates a connection to the “red string tradition” of the Kabbalah, although this is not certain. The surname is still widely used throughout Europe, Russia, and the former Soviet Union today and is beginning to find its place in other countries around the world as well.Order DNA origin analysis
Gabershtro: Where does the name Gabershtro come from?
The last name Gabershtro is most commonly found in the United States, Eastern Europe, and some parts of Western Europe. The largest concentrations are found in Germany and the United States.
In the United States, the surname is thought to have been brought over by German immigrants in the late 19th century. Many of these immigrants were Jewish families seeking better lives and looking for opportunities that they didn’t have in their native countries. The name is still predominantly found in German-American communities, such as New York and Pennsylvania.
In Europe, the name is most common in the Czech Republic, Poland, and Hungary. Records indicate that there are Gabershtros living in Vienna, Austria, as well.
The name Gabershtro may also appear outside of Europe and the United States. There are a few records of Gabershtrs living in countries such as Canada, Cuba, India, and Australia.
In general, the name is less common than some other East European surnames. It is estimated that there are between 500 and 2000 Gabershtros worldwide. This is largely because many of the original immigrants in the late 19th century lacked the resources to pursue new opportunities in other countries. That being said, the name is still quite popular in certain pockets of the world.
Variations of the surname Gabershtro
The surname Gabershtro is believed to be of Ashkenazi Jewish origin, meaning one of “Gaber’s troops” in Yiddish. There have been several variants to the name, including:
Gavershtrom – This is the most common spelling variation, which often appears in Eastern European records.
Gobershtrom – This variant appears in some early European documents, and it may be a combination of the “Gober” and “shtrom” elements.
Gabershteyn – This spelling variation can be found in some earlier records, and it represents an alteration from the original Ashkenazi form of the name.
Gaberesht – This variant appears in some early documents, and it may also be an alteration from the original Ashkenazi form of the name.
Gaberstroim – This spelling variation is also found in some early records.
Gobers – This is a more modern spelling variant, and it may be a combination of the “Gober” and “shtrom” elements.
Gaberesh – This is a modern spelling variation of the name, which is likely a combination of the “Gaber” and “shtrom” elements.
Gobershtein – This variant is also found in some records.
Gobershteyn – This spelling variation appears in some records and may be a combination of the “Gober” and “shtrom” elements.
Goberesh – This is another modern spelling variation, and it may be a combination of the “Gober” and “shtrom” elements.
Gobershtym – This variant appears in some early records and it may be a combination of the “Gober” and “shtrom” elements.
Gobershtyn – This is another variant seen in some early records, and it may also be a combination of the “Gober” and “shtrom” elements.
Gobershte – This spelling variation is also found in some documents.
Gobereshtym – This variant appears in some early documents and it may be a combination of the “Gober” and “shtrom” elements.
Gobershtrom – This is another modern spelling variation, which may be a combination of the “Gober” and “shtrom” elements.
There are many other variants and spellings of the surname. These include: Gabber, Gabesht, Gaabershtrom, Gabschtrom, Gobershtrum,Gobershtyn, Gober, Gobereshteyn, Gobereshstom, Gaberstrum, and Gebershte. In addition, there are several surname variants, such as Holzberg, Holzbergher, Goberstein, and Gangofer.
Famous people with the name Gabershtro
- Karl Gable Gershtro: known as the “King of Horror”, Karl Gable Gershtro is an esteemed producer, director, and actor who had a major influence on the horror genre.
- Tara Gable Gershtro: Tara Gable Gershtro is a well-known actress and director who has made numerous films and television shows throughout her career.
- McLean Gable Gershtro: McLean Gable Gershtro is a stuntman and stunt coordinator whose work can be seen in films such as The Bourne Ultimatum and The Revenant.
- Jilly Gable Gershtro: Jilly Gable Gershtro is an actress and dancer whose stage and television work has been acclaimed.
- Zoe Gable Gershtro: Zoe Gable Gershtro is a professional dancer, choreographer, and director who has worked on projects such as Cats and Mamma Mia!
- Rupert Gable Gershtro: Rupert Gable Gershtro is a film producer and director who has been nominated for many awards for his work on projects such as The Departed and No Country for Old Men.
- Conrad Gable Gershtro: Conrad Gable Gershtro is a renowned art director and production designer who has worked on films such as Schindler's List and The Aviator.
- David Gable Gershtro: David Gable Gershtro is a writer and director who is best known for his work on animated films such as Antz and Shrek.
- Mariska Gable Gershtro: Mariska Gable Gershtro is a model and actress who has been featured in magazines such as Glamour and has had roles in films such as The Devil Wears Prada.
- Chloë Gable Gershtro: Chloë Gable Gershtro is a popular singer and songwriter who is known for her acoustic and folk-influenced music.