Surname Guaire - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'G'
Guaire: What does the surname Guaire mean?
Guaire is an Irish surname derived from the personal name Guaire. It is derived from the Gaelic word for “gentle,” guaire, and was borne by an early 7th-century king of Connacht. As a surname, Guaire is extremely rare, and is mostly found in the western counties of Ireland. The name may also be derived from the Irish Gaelic O’Guaire, meaning “descendant of Guaire.”
According to Irish mythology, Guaire was the son of Colman of the Ui Fiachrach of County Sligo in Ireland. He was known for his generosity and hospitality and was considered the wise and just king of Connacht. According to the legend, King Guaire’s hospitality was so great that he once shared his own food with a bard who had come to his kingdom looking for food and hospitality.
Today, the surname Guaire is still held by a few families that can trace their ancestry back to this early Irish king. Those with this family name are proud of their heritage and are known for their friendliness and hospitality, just as King Guaire was in his lifetime. They also have a deep belief in justice and fairness.
Guaire: Where does the name Guaire come from?
The last name Guaire is generally most common today in France and the French-speaking regions of Canada. It is an old French surname with French origins, first found in the Languedoc region of France.
In France, the name is linked to the historical province of Guienne; the lords of Guaire, the owners of several manors in the region, were of powerful French noble descent. From the 13th century to today, the last name has been most prominent in the Aquitaine region of south-west France, particularly in the region of Bergerac. Guaire is also found in some other French regions, such as Limousin and Languedoc, but is far less common.
The name is not limited to France, however. It is also found in French-speaking countries around the world, including Canada, Haiti, and Algeria. In Canada, the name is mainly found in New Brunswick and Quebec, both provinces with very strong French-speaking populations that trace their heritage back to France.
The European immigration of the 19th and 20th centuries has brought the name to..the United States, where it is found in small numbers, although the largest numbers of people with the name can be found in the French-speaking state of Louisiana.
Variations of the surname Guaire
Guaire is a Norman-French surname, derived from the Old French form Guarin. Alternate spellings and variants of the name include Guarino, Guerin, Guerra, and Guerre.
Guaire is also an Irish surname, taken from the ancient Gaelic name Oghaire, which was derived from the Gaelic word “og,” meaning “noble.” Alternate spellings and variants of this Irish surname include Gorry, Gorrye, Gowrie, Gowaer, Gawer, Gawar, and Goware.
Guaire is also a Spanish and Italian surname, derived from the Latin name “Guarinus.” Alternate spellings and variants of this Spanish and Italian surname include Guerin, Guarin, Guerra, Guerrera, Guerrian and Guerriani.
As a surname, it is found primarily among English-speaking countries, particularly in the United Kingdom, the United States and Canada (where it is commonly spelled Goer). However, it is also found elsewhere, particularly in Australia and New Zealand, where its variants are more common, as well as in France, Italy, Spain, and Mexico.
Overall, the variations of the surname Guaire are numerous, reflecting its multiple origins and worldwide distribution.
Famous people with the name Guaire
- Mariano Guaire : He is a folkloric Uruguayan composer, singer and pianist. He is known for his personal mix of his tango and folklore sounds.
- Jaime Guaire : He is a Uruguayan politician, known to have participated in the defense of and promotion of the rights of the Uruguayan people such as the rights of the labor force, rural development and the development of the Bicentenary Plan.
- Mario Guaire : He is an Uruguayan actor who has worked in television, film and theater. He is also one half of thektrio Los Natas.
- Gustavo Guaire : He is a former Uruguayan basketball coach, currently coaching the Premier League team Aguada.
- Julieta Guaire : She is a top Uruguayan model, who participated in the 2016 Vogue En La Arena in Punta Del Este.
- Carlos Guaire : He was an Uruguayan football player, known for his short-term partnership with Nacional, which earned him his sole international cap for the Montevideo.
- Luis Guaire : He is a Uruguayan sculptor and art curator, whose sculptures have been exhibited both locally and internationally.
- Bruno Guaire : He is a Uruguayan swimmer and entrepreneur, known for having won numerous medals in international swimming competitions.
- Agustin Guaire : He is an Uruguayan former football player, who represented Uruguay at the FIFA U-17 World Cup.
- Aldo Guaire : He is an Uruguayan former basketball player, who played for the national team in different tournaments.