Surname Holguin - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Holguin: What does the surname Holguin mean?
The last name Holguin is of Spanish origin. The name likely originates from the Castilian town of Holguín, where there was a pre-Roman settlement founded in the tenth century. The name of this town is derived from the Latin term for cave (holcaneum) as the town was established in a valley surrounded by shallow ravines and caves.
The name Holguin is most popular in Mexico and the West Caribbean, such as Cuba, El Salvador, and Nicaragua, where it is one of the most common surnames in these countries. It may also be found elsewhere with significant Hispanic populations, such as in certain parts of the United States.
There is no one definitive meaning of the last name Holguin, but it is believed to refer to the people who are from Holguin, or the "children of the cave," in reference to the town's history. It may also be derived from earlier Spanish origins, when people used their geographic location, occupation, or even personal characteristics to name themselves.
Berganza, a Spanish scholar, believes that the name may even be derived from the Germanic personal name Helguin, which would make it a hybrid name of Germanic and Latin origin.
Despite its potential origins, the meaning of the last name Holguin is impossible to pinpoint, but it likely has some kind of link to the town of Holguín and the Spanish duo of Latin and Germanic roots.
Holguin: Where does the name Holguin come from?
The last name Holguin is most common today in Cuba and among Cuban émigrés in the U.S. and other countries. This is because it is a very old family name, and was among the earliest names brought over by Spanish settlers in the 1500s. According to Ancestry.com, Holguin is among the 100 most common Hispanic surnames.
Holguín is a surname of Basque origin, because Holgüín is a place in the Basque country, in the province of Vizcaya. The surname was likely brought to Cuba by a Basque settler and passed down to generations to come.
In Cuba, Holguín is among the most common names in the province of Holguín, located in east-central Cuba. It is the second-largest province in the country, home to one of Cuba's most important cities, also named Holguín. It has the highest percentage of people with the last name Holguín of any province in the country. It's estimated that Holguin is the surname of 5.58 out of every 100 people in the province of Holguin.
As Cuban immigrants spread throughout the world, the last name Holguín has become more widespread, appearing in the U.S., Spain, and other countries with large diaspora populations. One can find it, for example, among prominent Venezuelan entrepreneurs, Spanish rock stars, and American healthcare professionals.
Variations of the surname Holguin
The surname Holguin is an ancestral name that originated in Spain, and is of Castilian origin. Holguin is believed to have been derived from the name of a small city in the Spanish region of Castilla y Leon.
There are numerous variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin for Holguin. Variants of the surname include Holguín, Alguin, Olguin, Olguín, Holguin, and Alguín.
A Palace in Madrid was built by Don Diego Holguin during the 16th century. This palace is now known as the Palacio de Salcedo, and it was the first palace to feature a square layout.
In other parts of Spain, the surname Holguin is commonly spelled Olguin or Olguín. Many centuries ago, the region of Castilla y Leon was also the home to several prominent families by the name of Olguin. One of the most famous individuals with this surname was the Spanish General Francisco Goitia Olguin.
There are several surnames that are believed to share the origin of the surname Holguin. These surnames include Holgueñ, Olgueñ, Olguen, Olguine, Alguein, Olgueine, Ologiñ, Olgiñ, and Halgüin.
Many families with the surname Holguin are now spread throughout the world, particularly throughout Latin America. There are families living in El Salvador, the United States, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, and beyond who proudly bear this surname.
Famous people with the name Holguin
- Mario Holguin: Former mayor of El Paso, Texas, former United States Attorney for the Western District of Texas
- Abraham Holguin: United States Representative from Arizona
- Gumersindo Holguin: Cuban veteran of the Revolution
- Harold Holguin: Captain in the United States Army
- Edward Holguin: Former justice of the Arizona Supreme Court
- Samuel Holguin: former U.S. Ambassador to the Dominican Republic
- Vicente Holguin: Venezuelan politician and lawyer
- Michael Holguin: Chilean mixed martial artist
- Jaime Holguin: Mexican actor
- Michael Holguin: Artist best known for his neon paintings
- Maria Holguin: Mexican singer-songwriter
- Jason Holguin: American record producer and sound engineer
- Pamela Holguin: Mexican actress
- Ozzie Holguin: American voice actor and comedian
- Renato Holguin: Chilean television presenter and actor
- Lhana Holguin: Mexican actress
- Jaime Holguin: Spanish composer
- Sergio Holguin: Colombian professional football player
- Fernando Holguin: Mexican professional footballer
- Sarah Holguin: American television reporter and anchor