Surname Holis - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Holis: What does the surname Holis mean?
The surname Holis seems to be of Czech origin, where it is a relatively common last name. Holis appears to be a patronymic name derived from the personal name Hol, which means “from the hollow” or “dweller by the hollow." In Czech, the suffix '-is' also suggests local origin, often indicating "son of" or "from a certain location". Therefore, Holis might have initially been used to refer to "Son of Hol" or "one from a place associated with Hol". Like with many surnames, the specific meaning can vary based on genealogical and historical context. Over time, as people migrated and languages evolved, the name may also have developed different meanings and associations in different cultures. Remember, without specific geographical or cultural context, determining the exact meaning of a surname can be challenging.
Holis: Where does the name Holis come from?
The surname Holis is believed to have originated from Britain, specifically from England. The name is derived from the Middle English term "holis," which means "holly." This term was mostly used as a nickname for someone who lived near holly trees or as a metonymic occupation name for someone who made items out of holly wood.
Over time, the Holis name spread across various parts of the world including the United States, Australia, Canada, and other countries, through migration and other forms of relocation. Today, it can be found in small numbers around the globe, but it is most common in the English-speaking countries. Data from Forebears suggests that the greatest concentration of people with this surname are found in the United States, followed by England and Jamaica. Nevertheless, in relation to the local population, it is most prevalent in Jamaica, making this an unusual case of a traditionally English surname being most common outside of England.
Variations of the surname Holis
The surname Holis may have several variants and similar surnames due to regional differences, misspellings or transcription errors. These include Hollis, Holas, Holus, Holees, and Hollys. It may also be related to the names Holles, Hollies, Holsey, and Holms, as the substitution of letters like 'm' and 'n' might have happened over time.
This surname may also be a shortened or modified version of other last names, such as Holiston, Holister, or Holisky. In different geographical locations and languages, it may be rendered differently, for example, it could be Hollisch in German or Holisko in Slovak.
Another possibility is that the surname could be an Anglicization of a non-English name - for instance, the Polish name Hołysz could have been transformed into Holis, or the Czech Holý might have been converted into this form. A similar process might have occurred with names from other languages as well.
It's essential to note that names can change significantly over time and due to migration, and these are just possibilities - genealogical research or genetic testing would provide more insights into the actual origin and variations of this surname.
Famous people with the name Holis
- Bryan Holis: An Emmy award-winning Production Sound Mixer
- Russ Holis: A professional stuntman and stunt coordinator
- Andrea Holis: The Texas State Senator
- Toni Holis: A Master of Ceremonies and former model
- Christy Holis: A newspaper correspondent and celebrity interviewer
- Mark Holis: An American jazz vocalist
- James Holis: A doctor specializing in family medicine
- Krista Holis: A 2019 Miss Maryland USA
- William Holis: A former professional American football player
- Robert Holis: A Spanish film actor
- Tracey Holis: An American professional basketball player
- Stephen Holis: A professional photographer
- Sarah Holis: A professional digital marketing consultant
- Chris Holis: A renowned lawyer in San Diego
- Elizabeth Holis: A professional violist
- Scott Holis: An expert in geology
- John Holis: A Grammy nominated music producer
- Shirley Holis: A classical music singer
- Kristi Holis: A former member of the Nevada House of Representatives
- Rebekah Holis: A popular Christian author