Surname Hörauf - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Hörauf: What does the surname Hörauf mean?
The last name Hörauf is a German name that originated in the medieval period. It is a contraction of two words, the German word “hoe” and “ruff”, which both are believed to have come from the Middle Low German language. In English, “hoe” means a tool or implement used in gardening to cultivate the ground and “ruff” means a shrill noise or loud call.
The combined surname is believed to have referred to a person who made a living by making tools or instruments like hoes as a profession. It has been proposed that the surname may have been derived from personal names such as Horaft or Horafft, since it is considered that the name Hörauf is a Middle Low German adaptation of these names.
The surname Hörauf is found mostly throughout Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, and other parts of Europe. There are many variants of the name, including Hörfall, Höfell, and Herolf.
Today, the surname Hörauf is not particularly common, but the families who still bear this surname carry on this historic legacy. This long-held tradition and association with the creation of tools has been woven into the fabric of the Hörauf family, making their name one that is well-known to many.Order DNA origin analysis
Hörauf: Where does the name Hörauf come from?
The last name Hörauf is still quite common today, especially in the German-speaking world. It is most prevalent in Germany, where roughly 6,000 people currently bear the name. Outside of Germany, there are still concentrations of Höraufs scattered around Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, the United States, and Brazil.
In the United States, the highest concentrations of the name are found in Pennsylvania and the Carolinas. In Pennsylvania, Bucks County is home to the most Höraufs, and in the Carolinas, Union County holds the highest concentration. Smaller numbers also reside in New York, New Jersey, California, and Texas.
In Brazil, São Paulo is home to the highest number of Höraufs, although large numbers are also found in Rio de Janeiro, Santa Catarina, Paraná, and Mato Grosso.
Outside of the German-speaking world, the name does not have as great a presence. Very few Höraufs are found in the United Kingdom, France, Italy, and Spain, and so on.
Undoubtedly, the highest concentrations of the name are found within the German-speaking world, however, diaspora populations connected to the name continue to spread its legacy to other nations around the world.
Variations of the surname Hörauf
Hörauf is a surname derived from a geographic location, specifically the town of Hörauf in Bavaria, Germany. Variants of this surname include, Hörouf, Höerauf, Hörrow, Hordeauf, Horow, Herouff, Horeauf, Harrow, HoProw, and Hoarow.
The surname is also found in other parts of Europe, such as England where it has evolved into variants such as, Hoarow, Harrow, Horeauf, Hordeauff, HoProw, Harume, Harue, and Horow. In Switzerland, it has been spelled as Herouff, Herauf, and Horow.
In the United States, there are also a few variants of the surname, some of which are Harrow, HoProw, Hoarow, Hordeauf, Horeauf, Horeow, Holee, Herouff, Horow, Harroff, and Hoarle.
With regard to surnames of the same origin, there are a few which share similar spellings to "Hörauf", including Harouff, Heauf, Hureauf, Horauf, Harrouch, Heruff, Herof, Herauf, Heraruf, and Korauf.
With regard to pronunciation, "Hörauf" is pronounced as "HER-owf".
Famous people with the name Hörauf
- Martina Hörauf: A German Actress best known for her roles in movies such as The Door Familiar, The Beloved, and Stations of the Cross.
- Tobias Hörauf: A German actor best known for starring in The Maze and Kirchweih, a German television series.
- Helmuth Hörauf: A German politician and President of the European Liberal Party.
- Janina Hörauf: A German author specializing in children's fiction. She is the author of books such as The Magical Fountain and The Little Wildflower.
- Magdalena Hörauf: A German social media influencer and blogger who shares beauty and lifestyle tips on her YouTube channel.
- Sabine Hörauf: An Austrian-American fashion designer whose luxury evening dresses have been worn by celebrities such as Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Emma Stone.
- Ernst Hörauf: A German film producer of more than 25 feature films and has been involved in numerous television projects.
- Marian Hörauf: A German cyclist who competed in the Tour de Suisse and other cycling tours in Europe.
- Maximilian Hörauf: A German athlete who competes in triathlons and ultra-marathons and is one of the top-ranked competitors in his field.
- Inge Hörauf: A German painter whose works are often inspired by nature and the world around her. She has exhibited her works in Germany and abroad.