Surname Huang - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Huang: What does the surname Huang mean?
Huang is a common Chinese surname that means "yellow" in English. Originating from the ancient State of Huang, the name is associated with the descendants of its rulers. Historically, “yellow” carries a significant connotation in Chinese culture, evoking notions of earth, harvest, fertility, and the Yellow Emperor, a legendary figure who is regarded as the ancestor of all Han Chinese people. The use of "Huang" as a surname symbolises a historical link or lineage to these roots. As a surname, Huang is the seventh most common surname in China, belonging to a significant proportion of the Chinese population worldwide. It is essential to note that in Chinese tradition, the family name precedes the given name. Overall, the surname Huang encapsulates a rich blend of history, culture, and ancestral reverence.
Huang: Where does the name Huang come from?
The last name Huang originates from China and is one of the most common surnames in this country. It is traditionally associated with the ancient state of Huang, located in present-day Henan province. During the Zhou Dynasty, the rulers of this state adopted Huang as their surname. The word "Huang" in Chinese means "yellow" and was considered a symbol of earth, one of the five elements in traditional Chinese culture.
It's also worth mentioning that Huang is used in other parts of Asia, including Vietnam and Korea, though typically as a first name rather than a surname. In Vietnam, it is spelled "Hoàng" or "Huỳnh", and in Korea, it is spelled "Hwang". However, it remains most prevalent in China, particularly in the southern provinces of Guangdong, Jiangxi, and Fujian. Today, Huang is the 7th most common surname in China, with millions of people carrying this name globally.
Variations of the surname Huang
The surname Huang is primarily associated with Chinese heritage. It is one of the most common surnames in China and Taiwan, and is often romanized as Wong in Hong Kong, Macau, Cantonese-speaking areas and abroad in countries like Malaysia and Singapore. The names Hwang, Huong, Weng, Vong, Hoang or Uong are based on different regional pronunciations, specifically in Korean and Vietnamese regions.
There are multiple Chinese characters that are pronounced as Huang in Mandarin, resulting in different variations of Huang surnames. The most common character is 黄, which means "yellow" but there are others including 皇 ("emperor"), 煌 ("bright"), 晃 ("broad daylight") and 惶 ("frightened").
The surname may be spelled differently in English-speaking countries due to multiple romanization systems for Chinese languages. The Wade-Giles system, for example, transliterates Huang as "Hwang", while the Pinyin system transliterates the same character as "Huang".
Representations of Huang can also vary by country due to different language adaptations and phonetic transcriptions. For example, in Vietnamese, the common spelling is "Hoang", while in Korean, it is spelled as "Hwang". In Japanese, it can be spelled as "Oh" or "Ou". These variations reflect the same or similar pronunciation adapted to different languages and scripts.
Famous people with the name Huang
- Huang Yiliang: Taiwanese actor
- Huang Bo: Chinese actor, credited for his comedic roles and his performances in film, television and stage
- Huang Jingyu: Chinese actor, best known for their roles in films such as I Belonged to You, Goodbye Mr. Loser, Once Upon a Time and Somewhere Only We Know
- Huang Zitao: Chinese actor, singer, and rapper
- Huang Xiaoming: Chinese actor, model and singer
- Huang Zi Tao: South Korean singer and actor
- Huang Mengying: Chinese actress
- Huang Xiaojing: Chinese actress
- Huang Wei: Chinese actress
- Huang Zhiwen: Chinese actor
- Huang Shengyi: Chinese actress and singer
- Huang Shengyi: Chinese singer, songwriter and dancer
- Huang Wenwen: Chinese actress
- Huang Xuan: Chinese actor and director
- Chen Huang: Chinese of TV and film
- Cui Hua: Chinese badminton player
- Der-Chen Huang: Taiwanese mathematician
- Eyck J.W. Huang: Taiwanese-American writer
- Fang-Ning Huang: Taiwanese politician
- Huo Huang: Taiwanese professional golfer
- Jheng-Wei Huang: Taiwanese architect
- Jui-Chen Huang: Taiwanese swordsman
- Ju-chen Huang: Taiwanese surgeon
- Jun-Ed Chang Huang: Taiwanese musician
- Kaijong Huang: Taiwanese screenwriter
- Shu-Wei Huang: Taiwanese architect
- Tzu-Chin Huang: Taiwanese Sculptor
- Wu Huang: Chinese Politician
- Yang Huang: Chinese writer
- Ying-Ling Huang: Taiwanese screenwriter