Surname MacClarnen - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
MacClarnen: What does the surname MacClarnen mean?
MacClarnen or McClarnon is an Irish surname that has Scottish origins. In Scotland, the name can be traced back to the old Gaelic surname MacGille-Earnain, which loosely translates to “son of the servant of St. Earnan.” The name is composed of elements including "Mac," meaning “son of,” "Gille," meaning “servant,” and "Earnan," believed to refer to a saint. Thus, an individual with this surname would have been identified as a devout follower or servant of this saint, indicating a deeply religious lineage. Over time, the name evolved and was anglicized to the forms we know today. However, as with many surnames, the exact connotations of MacClarnen/ McClarnon may vary depending on ancestral histories and locations.Order DNA origin analysis
MacClarnen: Where does the name MacClarnen come from?
The surname MacClarnen may be of Scottish or Irish origin. It appears to be a variant of the Scottish name MacLaren, which originates from the Gaelic 'MacLabhruinn' meaning 'son of Labhran' or 'son of Lawrence.' This name is strongly associated with the areas of Balquhidder and Strathearn in Scotland. Alternatively, it may be a variation of the Irish MacClarnon, from the original name Mac Clérigh, meaning 'son of the cleric or scribe.' Today, due to the widespread Irish and Scottish diasporas, surnames like MacClarnen can be found across English-speaking countries like the U.S., Canada, Australia and New Zealand, with a particular concentration in regions known for Scottish or Irish ancestry. Despite this, MacClarnen is not a very common surname, and its precise distribution is hard to determine without more specific genealogical research.
Variations of the surname MacClarnen
The surname MacClarnen is of Irish origin and is scarce, which makes it difficult to find direct spelling variations or surnames of the same origin. However, similar surnames may include: McClaren, McClarnon, McClennon, McClerkin, McClarnon, McClaren, McClarnen, McClernon, McLernon, and McLarnan.
The prefix 'Mac' or 'Mc', common in Scottish and Irish surnames means 'son of', indicating a patronymic origin. Thus, it can be inferred that 'MacClarnen' could possibly mean 'son of Clarnen'. Notwithstanding, research into the specific 'Clarnen' lineage or history seems limited.
By analysing the surname further, it seems like it may be related to the surname 'McLernon' and its variants, which is a derivative of the Gaelic 'Mac Giolla Earnáin', translating to 'son of the servant of St. Earnan'.
However, it's always recommended to conduct personal family history research or engage a professional genealogist to get in-depth details about the origin and variations of the surname MacClarnen.
Famous people with the name MacClarnen
- Siobhan MacClarnen: Siobahn is an Irish actress and singer, best known for her roles in the 2012 film Take Down and the 2013 movie Student Seduction.
- John MacClarnen: John is an American musician, singer, songwriter and guitarist, who was heavily featured in the independent rock scene of the 1990s.
- Jonathan MacClarnen: Jonathan is a British actor, best known for his roles in the acclaimed TV miniseries Dead Man's Shoes and the 2019 film In the Footsteps of Giants.
- Tom MacClarnen: Tom is an Australian businessman and former rugby league player, who represented Australia in the 1986 World Cup.
- Debi MacClarnen: Debi is an American actress and producer, best known for her roles in the TV series Deadwood and the 2003 movie The Hot Chick.
- Marco MacClarnen: Marco is a Brazilian photographer and filmmaker, who has captured stunning images from the Amazon rainforest and Rio de Janeiro over the past decade.
- Bartley MacClarnen: Bartley is a Scottish actor, best known for his stage and television performances in shows such as Chewin' the Fat, Still Game and The Slate Floor.
- Amanda MacClarnen: Amanda is an American fashion designer, who has showcased her designs at numerous New York Fashion Week shows.
- Patrick MacClarnen: Patrick is an Irish comedian, best known for his stand-up shows and his role on the popular sitcom Father Ted.
- Paul MacClarnen: Paul is a Canadian ice hockey player, who currently plays for the Calgary Flames in the National Hockey League.