Surname Michelke - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Michelke: What does the surname Michelke mean?
The last name Michelke is believed to be of German or Dutch origin, and is derived from the given name Michael. It is likely that the name was originally spelled as "Michielke," and originated as a patronymic name, meaning it was derived from the given name of the father of the original bearer of the surname.
This name would have been borne by descendants of the personal name Michaël, which is derived from the Hebrew name ‘Mi-Khael’ or ‘Mi-kha-El’, meaning ‘Who is like God?’ This name was borne by a number of notable figures throughout history, including the archangel Michael. It is believed that the name Michelke spread throughout Europe during the period of the Middle Ages as Christianity spread throughout the continent.
The surname is commonly found in the Netherlands and Germany. However, over the centuries, people bearing the Michelke surname have spread to other countries, including the United States, Canada, and Australia. It is also quite common in various other parts of Europe including France, Italy, and Ireland.
Today, the Michelke surname is still a relatively common one. Those bearing the surname might find it quite interesting to trace their ancestry by researching its roots and looking into the history of their ancestors.Order DNA origin analysis
Michelke: Where does the name Michelke come from?
The last name Michelke is of German origin and can be found primarily in Germany. It is also common in some other parts of the world, including parts of the United States, Canada, South America, Europe, and Australia.
In Germany, the name Michelke is concentrated in the areas of Saxony, Lower Saxony, and Schleswig_Holstein. The population density of the Michelke name is highest in the city of Dresden, where it ranks 3rd among all family names in the city. It is ranked 13th overall in Saxony.
In the United States, the places where the name Michelke is the most common vary greatly depending on the region. It is most common in the states of Hawaii, California, New York, Montana, and Illinois. The top 5 cities where the name is the most common include Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, San Jose, and San Francisco.
In Canada, the name Michelke is most common in the province of British Columbia. The cities where the name is most common are Vancouver, Surrey, Abbotsford, Richmond, and Burnaby.
The Michelke family name is also quite common in France, typically in the regions of Ile-de-France and Niederrhein. Additionally, it is somewhat common in Russia and Brazil.
Overall, the last name Michelke is a popular family name originating in Germany, but can be found in many places around the world today.
Variations of the surname Michelke
The surname Michelke is derived from a combination of two first names; Michael and Helmut. It is most commonly found across France and Germany, although there are some variations in spelling. Michelet, Michell, Michelli, Michelka, Michelke, and Michelki are all spellings of the same name.
The name can also be found with various prefixes and suffixes. The most common suffix is 'er', preceded by 'von', as in von Michelke. Other prefixes or suffixes could be 'de', 'van', or 'le'.
Variations of the name include Michelsen, Michels, Michelson, Launer, Michler, and Lauscher. These surnames are all derived from Michelke. They are found in English-speaking countries and countries around the world where people bearing the Michelke name have emigrated.
In addition to the spelling variations and suffixes, Michelke is also sometimes translated into other languages for certain countries. For example, in Poland the surname would become Michlke or Michlek.
The spelling variations and related surnames of Michelke can be traced back to the early days of the name's existence in Germany, France, and other parts of Europe. It is not certain exactly when the name began to spread but it is likely that this occurred as the medieval and early modern periods progressed. Thanks to emigration throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, variations of the name can now be found in numerous countries, with some of the most common being the United States, Canada, the UK, and Australia.
Famous people with the name Michelke
- Fabian Michelke: Fabian Michelke is a German actor best known for his roles in such films and series as Fack ju Göhte, Do Not Disturb, and Game of Silence.
- Jakob Michelke: Jakob Michelke is a German actor who appeared in the 2017 movie The Keeper.
- Anna Marie Michelke: Anna Marie Michelke is a Brazilian singer and songwriter.
- Mark Steve Michelke: Mark Steve Michelke is an American mathematician and computer scientist.
- Manfred Michelke: Manfred Michelke is a German pianist who has held teaching jobs at prestigious institutes such as the Conservatory of Music in Cologne, Germany.
- Benedikt Michelke: Benedikt Michelke is a Swiss actor known for his roles in films such as Zapped and Show Girls.
- Mandie Michelle Michelke: Mandie Michelle Michelke is an American professional drag queen.
- Armand Michelke: Armand Michelke is a Belgian football player who spent five years playing for the Standard de Liège club.
- Yves Michelke: Yves Michelke is a Belgium-based sculptor and painter.
- Dietmar Michelke: Dietmar Michelke is a German music producer, songwriter, and arranger.