Surname Schreiber - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'S'
Schreiber: What does the surname Schreiber mean?
Schreiber is a German surname that translates to "scribe" or "writer" in English. The name originated during the Middle Ages in German-speaking regions of Europe, where it was typically bestowed upon individuals who had the occupation of a clerk, secretary, or writer. The profession was of high importance during that time because only a small segment of the population had the skill or education to write documents for law, trade, and other official purposes. The surname, therefore, would have been associated with literacy, knowledge, and societal standing. However, like many occupational surnames, it does not necessarily imply that the modern bearers of the name Schreiber are writers or that their ancestors were. The surname is common among Ashkenazi Jews, likely due to occupational naming practices in Ashkenazi culture.
Schreiber: Where does the name Schreiber come from?
The Schreiber surname is most commonly found in Germany today, where it remains fairly common. The Schreiber name is a habitational name for someone from a place named Schreiber, which is derived from an Old German word meaning “scribe” and usually refers to a place where a scribe once lived. The Schreiber surname is also common in Austria, Switzerland, and other German-speaking areas of Europe.
The Schreiber surname has also spread to other parts of the world, such as the United States. The first Schreiber to migrate to America was Hans Schreiber, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732. Many more German immigrants bearing the Schreiber surname followed in the following centuries, with some settling in Pennsylvania, while others settled in Maryland, the Midwest, and later, the West Coast. There has also been a small number of Schreibers who migrated to the United Kingdom and other parts of the English-speaking world.
Many Schreibers have also spread to other parts of the world, such as South America, Australia, New Zealand, and Africa. Today, the Schreiber surname is found on every continent and is known to have a significant global presence.
Variations of the surname Schreiber
The surname Schreiber has several different variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin. These include the German names Schreiber, Schriber, Schröder, Schriebl, Schrayer, and Schriever, as well as the Yiddish names Shrayber and Shryber.
In the United States, Schreiber is the 34,772nd most common surname, with an estimated 0.001% of the population using it. In the United States, Schriber is the 162,379th most common surname, with an estimated 0.0002% of the population using it. In the United States, Schröder is the 73,340th most common surname, with an estimated 0.001% of the population using it. In the United States, Schriebl is the 453,518th most common surname, with an estimated 0.000045% of the population using it. In the United States, Schrayer is the 229,375th most common surname, with an estimated 0.0002% of the population using it. In the United States, Schriever is the 116,637th most common surname, with an estimated 0.0003% of the population using it.
The Yiddish surnames Shrayber and Shryber have similar origins to Schreiber and its variants. Shrayber is the 44,234th most common surname in the United States, with an estimated 0.001% of the population using it. Shryber is the 134,355th most common surname in the United States, with an estimated 0.0002% of the population using it.
Other variants of Schreiber include Shreyber, Skryber, and Skrywer. Shreyber is not as common, with an estimated 0.000019% of the population in the United States using it as a surname. Skryber and Skrywer are even rarer, with an estimated 0.000015% and 0.000007% of the population in the United States using them, respectively.
In conclusion, Schreiber is a popular surname with several variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin, including Shreiber, Schriber, Schröder, Schriebl, Schrayer, Schriever, Shrayber, Shryber, Shreyber, Skryber, and Skrywer.
Famous people with the name Schreiber
- Liev Schreiber: Actor, director, producer, and screenwriter best known for his roles in movies such as X-Men Origins: Wolverine and The Omen.
- Naomi Watts: Actress who has starred in films such as King Kong and The Ring.
- Clifton Schreiber: Professional wrestler currently signed to Impact Wrestling.
- Maiko Schreiber: Japanese voice actress known for dubbing voices into Kiki's Delivery Service and Whisper of the Heart.
- Charles Schreiber Jr.: American film producer, best known for his collaboration with director David Lynch on films such as The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.
- Steve Schreiber: American television producer, best known for his work on shows such as Frasier and Will & Grace.
- Paul Schreiber: Former MLB pitcher who spent time with the New York Yankees in the mid-1900s.
- Tom Schreiber: Professional lacrosse player and member of the Ohio Machine of Major League Lacrosse.
- Reinhold Schreiber: German politician and former president of the SPD party.
- Karl Schreiber: German photographer and author of the book Landschaft-Romantik.