Surname Barningham - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Barningham: What does the surname Barningham mean?
The surname Barningham is of English origin and is associated with geographical locations. It is believed to be derived from the small village of Barningham, located in the North Riding of Yorkshire, England. The name Barningham itself is derived from Old English terms, with "Barn" possibly meaning "children" or "young warriors", and "-ham" denoting a village or homestead. Therefore, the surname Barningham could be seen to mean "the village or home of the children or young warriors". Like many surnames based on place names, it was likely first given to individuals who originated from Barningham or were closely associated with the area. Over time, it would have been passed down through generations and spread to other regions. Individual interpretations may vary, however, this is a widely accepted understanding of the surname.
Barningham: Where does the name Barningham come from?
The surname Barningham is of Anglo-Saxon origin, derived from a place name in England. It is associated with the Barningham village in each of the North Yorkshire, County Durham, and Suffolk regions in England. The name itself appears to be a combination of two Old English words - "beorn," meaning a young warrior, and "-ingahām," a common suffix indicating a homestead or village.
Today, Barningham is still predominantly found in England, specifically in the Northern and Eastern regions of the country aligning with the original locations of the villages with the same name. However, due to patterns of mass emigration and globalisation, it's also likely to be found in other British colonies and English-speaking countries, particularly in the United States, Canada, and Australia. However, it remains a comparatively rare surname.
Variations of the surname Barningham
The surname Barningham is relatively unique and seems to be directly attached to geographic location, specifically the village of Barningham in North Yorkshire England. Therefore, common variants on this surname are limited. However, it is likely that the spellings could have been tampered with or altered over time due to various reasons like migration, accent, phonetic association, and so on. People might have changed the spellings to fit regional pronunciation or dialectal influence such as "Barningam", "Barnigham"," Barnyngham", "Barninghem", "Barninghame" or "Barningum". Simpler spellings like "Barnham" or "Barnigham" could also be possible variants. It's also common to find that surnames originating from the same area often share roots or have similar features. For example the surnames "Darlington", "Harrowgate", and "Richmond", all originating from North Yorkshire like Barningham, could be considered related. Despite these possibilities, the surname Barningham is distinctive and doesn't seem to have many common variants or related surnames. In individual cases, some associations might be found. Please, remember to do precise ancestral and historical research for a definitive answer.
Famous people with the name Barningham
- Edward Barningham: an English aristocrat and landowner who served as a Justice of the Peace in the County of Rutland in the early 18th century.
- Mark Barningham: a British solicitor and Labour Party politician who served as a Member of the European Parliament for the East Midlands between 1994 and 1999.
- Patrick Barningham: a British operational helicopter commander in the Royal Air Force who flew a number of operational sorties during the Iraq War.
- Andrew Barningham: a British politician who served as a Member of Parliament for Penrith and The Border from 2005 to 2010.
- Eric Barningham: an English songwriter and record producer who co-wrote the hit song “Lonely Boy” (1978) with Steve Ellis.
- Robert Barningham: an English composer and organist who served as organist and master of the choristers at Westminster Abbey between 1873 and 1895.
- Martin Barningham: an English cricketer who played for Middlesex County Cricket Club between 1980 and 1991.
- Imogen Barningham: a British photographer known for her portrait and fashion photography.
- Roger Barningham: a British barrister who served as Attorney General of Bermuda from 1984 to 1990.
- David Barningham: a British archaeologist and professor who specialised in the study of the prehistoric archaeology of Britain and the Near East.