Surname Maguirc - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Maguirc: What does the surname Maguirc mean?
The surname Maguirc is of Irish origin and could be a variant of "Maguire," meaning "son of the brown-haired chieftain." It's derived from two Gaelic words: "Mag" meaning "son of" and "Uidhir" signifying a "pale-colored" or "dun-colored" individual. The name might have been initially given to the son or descendant of a brown or pale-haired chieftain. These sort of descriptive surnames were common in Ireland, as they helped differentiate between different branches of a family, especially among the nobility and warrior castes. Maguire is a prominent name in Irish history and was the name of a powerful clan in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. Therefore, someone with the surname Maguirc presumably has ancestral ties to this region. However, spelling variations of Irish surnames are extremely common due to Anglicization during the 17th century, so Maguirc could also be a result of transcription errors or adjustments over time.
Maguirc: Where does the name Maguirc come from?
The surname Maguirc originates from Ireland. Its existence can be traced back to County Fermanagh as early as the 13th century. It is derived from the Irish "Mag Uidhir," which broadly translates to ‘son/descendant of the brown-haired Odhar'. The family governed the kingdom of Fermanagh for about 400 years before surrendering their claim to England in 1607. The decline in its popularity likely stems from anglicization and dispersion during the Great Irish Famine in the 19th century.
Today, variations of this surname, including Maguire, are common not only in Ireland but have also found popularity in countries such as the United States, Australia, and England, where Irish diaspora communities are prevalent. In Ireland, it remains particularly common in the northern areas, such as Northern Ireland and the County Donegal in the Republic of Ireland. Despite various spellings, this surname links descendants back to their Medieval Irish Lords ancestry.
Variations of the surname Maguirc
The surname Maguirc is derived from the Irish Gaelic "Mag Uidhir," which translates to "son of the pale-colored one." Because early record-keeping practices varied widely, many surnames were recorded under different spellings. The surname Maguirc, therefore, can take on a number of variant spellings and derivations.
Its most prevalent English translation is Maguire. This, however, can also be spelled Maguires, Mcguire, Mcquier, Mcquaire, Mcguire, or Magwire. In Irish Gaelic, it often appears as MagUidhir.
There are also a number of other potentially related surnames, including Wire, Guire, Guirey, Guiry, Guiry and Macguire. It is worth mentioning that some of these variations might be phonetic variants or derived from a different root entirely, even if they sound similar.
Keep in mind that these are just a few of the potential variations and derivations of the Maguirc surname. The variations of a surname can be influenced by a multitude of factors, like regional accents, transcription errors, and changes in language over time. Additionally, the spelling might've been changed by the family upon immigration to an English-speaking country. These surnames, therefore, may or may not have connection to the surname Maguirc.
Famous people with the name Maguirc
- Colm Maguire, actor
- Woody Maguire, former professional baseball player
- Michael Maguire, Australian actor
- Niall Maguire, Irish rally driver
- Sean Maguire, English singer and actor
- Dylan Maguire, Irish professional football player
- Brendan Maguire, Canadian politician
- Gavin Maguire, Irish professional football player
- Clare Maguire, English singer and songwriter
- Danny Maguire, Australian actor and producer
- Ellen Maguire, Irish author
- Joseph Maguire, American admiral, former acting Director of National Intelligence
- Kevin Maguire, English political journalist
- Lester Maguire, Canadian ice hockey player
- Megan Maguire, Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Padraig Maguire, Irish Gaelic football player
- Patrick Maguire, Irish republican
- Rory Maguire, Irish musician
- Samantha Maguire, Northern Irish actress
- Shane Maguire, Irish musician and songwriter