Surname Mohammed - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Mohammed: What does the surname Mohammed mean?
The last name Mohammed, also spelled as Muhammad, derives from Arabic origin and bears substantial religious significance in Islam. The meaning of 'Muhammad' is "praiseworthy" or "one who is worthy of praise". This name has been predominantly used in Muslim communities as it was the name of the Prophet Muhammad, the founder of Islam in the 7th century.
He is deeply revered by Muslims worldwide which prompts many to adopt his name, in its various forms, with immense pride and respect. As a family name, it not only signifies one's genealogical or cultural linkage, but also signifies spiritual affinity and devotion towards the Islamic faith.
It is one of the most popular names globally due to the vast population of Muslims, who often give this name to their children in honor of their prophet. Despite its usage as a common first name, it is also widely used as a last name, further marking one's Islamic faith and heritage.
Mohammed: Where does the name Mohammed come from?
The last name Mohammed is found in several countries in the Middle East and South Asia, as well as some nations in Africa. Most especially in the Middle East, it is the most common last name and can be found in countries such as Iraq, Syria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Jordan, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Yemen. It is also common in other parts of the Middle East, including Lebanon, Egypt, Algeria, and Morocco.
In South Asia, the last name Mohammed is one of the most common in Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan. It is also found in the Maldives and in some parts of Southeast Asia, including Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei.
In Africa, it is a common name in Nigeria, Somalia, Sudan, and Eritrea, as well as certain parts of Ethiopia. Additionally, the last name is becoming increasingly popular in western countries, especially among recently-arrived Muslim immigrants. Mohammed is not only the most popular last name among Muslims, but also among Christians, Jews, Buddhists, and Hindus, and languages such as Hebrew and Spanish.
Variations of the surname Mohammed
The surname Mohammed is a popular Muslim surname and is an Arabic name that is most commonly spelled with the diacritic "mḍ". It is also spelled as “Mohammad”, “Muhammed”, “Muhammad”, “Muhamed” and “Mohamad”. Some alternate spellings of the surname Mohammed are “Mahamud”, “Mahammed”, “Mahamad”, “Mahamoud” and “Muhmmad”.
The variants of the surname Mohammed could further include the surnames “Mohmoud”, “Mahammed”, “Mahmoud”, “Muhamed” and “Mahamed”. It could also include the surnames “Mahmud”, “Mohmud”, “Mahmond” and “Mahmoudi”.
The surnames that are of the same origin as Mohammed include “Muhamedi”, “Mahmudi”, “Mahammedi”, “Mahmoodi”, “Mahamedi” and “Mahamoodi”. Other surnames related to the Mohammed surname include “Mahmoudian”, “Mahmoudy”, “Mahamud”, “Mohamedy” and “Mamoudy”.
In general, the spelling of the surname Mohammed and the surnames that are of the same origin and derived from it depend on the native language of the person who is using the surname. For example, in Arabic, the surname would generally be spelled with the diacritic "mḍ", while in other languages it can be spelled differently. Despite differences in spelling, all of these surnames have the same Mohammed origin.
Famous people with the name Mohammed
- Thasneem Mohideen Mohammed: Thasneem Mohideen Mohammed is an Indian lawyer and environmental activist, known for founding the non-governmental organization Poovulagin Nanbargal.
- Mumtaz Mahal: Mumtaz Mahal was the third and favorite wife of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan and the mother of his children.
- Khalid Mohammed: Khalid Mohammed is an Indian filmmaker, writer, journalist, and media academic. He is best known for writing and directing the 2003 historical war film, The Trace of Tears.
- Ayman Mohammed: Ayman Mohammed is a former Syrian footballer who represented his country at the 2005 FIFA U-17 World Championship, hosted by Peru, and was part of the Syrian U-20 team that competed in the 2007 U-20 World Cup.
- Mahmoud Mohammed: Mahmoud Mohammed is an Egyptian international footballer, who plays for El-Entag El-Harby in the Egyptian Premier League. He has also represented his country in several international tournaments, including the 2017 Afric Cup of Nations.
- Akil Mohammed: Akil Mohammed is a professional footballer who plays for the Indian Super League side Bengaluru FC. He has also represented India on several international occasions, most notably the 2019 AFC Asian Cup.
- Noor Mohammed: Noor Mohammed is an Indian football player who plays as a Midfielder. He currently plays for the Chennaiyin FC in the Indian Super League.
- Javed Mohammed: Javed Mohammed is a former Indian cricketer who represented the national team in several ODIs and Tests. He was considered one of the best spin bowlers of his time.
- Ashraf Mohammed: Ashraf Mohammed is an Indian footballer who plays as a defender for ATK Mohun Bagan in the Indian Super League.
- Khurram Mohammed: Khurram Mohammed is an Indian political and business leader who served as the president of the Indian National Congress in 2004.