Surname Barres - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Barres: What does the surname Barres mean?
The surname Barres is of French origin, derived primarily from the Old French word "barre", which means "bar" or "obstacle". It originated as a topographical name for someone who lived by a gate or barrier. The surname could also be linked to an occupational name for a gatekeeper or a toll collector who was in charge of a barrier on a toll road. In some cases, it might also have been used for a person who had a barred or striped appearance, likely referring to a pattern or characteristic of their clothing. It's worth noting that the meanings and derivations of surnames can vary greatly depending on cultural, regional, and historical contexts.Order DNA origin analysis
Barres: Where does the name Barres come from?
The surname Barres is of French origin. It is derived from an occupational name for a gatekeeper or a toll collector, from the Old French word "barre," which means 'bar or gate'. In its earliest use, the surname was likely used for someone who lived near a bar, barrier, or gate.
The surname Barres first appeared in Limousin, a region in central France which is known to have been a crucial location during the Gallo-Roman period. Members of this family have been vital participants in social, economic, and political affairs in France for centuries. Notable figures bearing the last name include Michel de la Barre, a French composer and flutist known for establishing the flute as a vital solo instrument.
Today, the surname Barres can be found most frequently in France, particularly in the regions of Languedoc-Roussillon and Midi-Pyrénées. It is also common in the United States, primarily in the states of Pennsylvania, California, and New York. Indeed, as a result of extensive French diaspora, you can find the Barres surname in many corners of the globe.
Variations of the surname Barres
The surname Barres can be variantly spelled and has several cognates. Some common ways the name is spelled include Barras, Barrs, Barres, Barresse, Barreis and Barrets. In some cultures, the name is pronounced slightly differently and may be spelled as Barris, Bares, Baress, or Barros.
The name Barres originates from France, but it also has origins from Spanish, Portuguese, and Catalan cultures where it’s usually spelled as Barros. In some variants, letters are added or omitted, so the surname can appear as Barrès, Barrés, or Barès.
Other variations include additional letters or prefixes such as De Barres, Du Barres, or LeBarres to indicate lineage and connection to certain regions. Certainly, the variations can differ greatly depending on factors like geography, dialect, and translation.
It is also important to note that the use of double letters and accent marks can vary depending on the country of origin and regional punctuation norms. Some variations can include de Barros, Barrés, or Barrès. The name Barres is a topographic surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. The name likely has a relation to a place or topography with "barre." The surname variants which are seen commonly represent various branches of a family.
Famous people with the name Barres
- Ben Barres: An American neurobiologist known for his work on the role of glial cells in the brain, and for his advocacy for gender equality in science.
- Michael Barres: A British biologist and founder of the Barres Laboratory at University College London.
- Francis Barres: A French author known for his works on philosophy and theology.
- Jason Barres: An American actor who appeared in several television series and films in the early 2000s.
- Albert Barres: A notable historian who specialized in modern and contemporary French history.
- Marie-Jo Barres: A French politician who served as the French Secretary of State for Family Affairs.
- Jacqueline Barres: A French actress known for roles in 1960s French cinema.
- Pierre Barres: A French composer who contributed to the development of the Romantic music era.
- Nicole Barres: A known Canadian artist who specializes in abstract paintings.
- Guy Barres: A French professional footballer who played as a midfielder in the 1980s and 1990s.