Surname M'Clarene - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
M'Clarene: What does the surname M'Clarene mean?
The surname M’Clarene is a variant spelling of the name McClaren, which is of Scottish origin. It is believed to be derived from a place name – MacLairan – which itself references an ancient Gaelic clan. Though it is unclear when the surname was first adopted, it appears to have been in use by the late 17th century.
The surname M’Clarene is quite rare, and it is not known exactly how many holders of the name there are in the world. What is known, however, is that the majority of M’Clarene families come from Scotland. The most common location in the country is Fife, where the surname is particularly concentrated.
The M’Clarene family is an ancient one, and it is believed that they originated in the Northern Highlands of the country. Historical records suggest that this clan was quite powerful in the region, and it is certain that they had a strong presence in the area until at least the 19th century. It is also possible that they had links to the Clan MacLaren, though this is unconfirmed.
The M’Clarene surname is an interesting one, and it serves as a reminder of Scotland’s proud heritage. It is certainly possible that there were once many more families with this unique name, but this has not been proven. Nevertheless, this surname is still an important part of Scotland’s history, and its legacy should be remembered for generations to come.Order DNA origin analysis
M'Clarene: Where does the name M'Clarene come from?
The last name M'Clarene is primarily found in Northern Ireland and Scotland. It is a relatively rare surname and is often associated with families of an Ulster Scots origin. Historically, the surname has been most common in County Antrim, in the northeast region of Ulster.
In the 19th century, M'Clarene families in Northern Ireland tended to live in the rural areas along the northeast seaboard. This included the counties of Antrim, Down and Fermanagh. Today, the surname is still most common in this region and can be found in the larger towns such as Belfast and Londonderry.
The surname of M'Clarene has also been found in Scotland, particularly in the Lowlands. This includes areas such as Glasgow and Edinburgh. It is believed that many M'Clarene families moved to Scotland from Northern Ireland sometime in the 19th century. This could have been part of a larger migration of Ulster Scots type people to the Lowlands.
Today, members of the M'Clarene surname are spread around the world having emigrated in search of a better life. For example, some are known to have gone to Canada, the United States, New Zealand and Australia. It is also possible to find the surname amongst some Irish American, Australian and New Zealand families.
Variations of the surname M'Clarene
The surname M'Clarene is of Scottish origin and has many variants and spellings that are derived from it. Those variants and spellings include: McClaren, M'Clarn, M'Claran, M'Claron, Mclaren, MacLaren, MacClaren, McLoren, MacLorene, and MacClorene.
All these surnames have Scottish Gaelic roots and refer to the clan of MacLaren, which hails from the Argyll region of Scotland. This once- powerful clan descent from Loari, who was a son of Erc, King of Dalriada.
The most common variant of the M'Clarene surname is McClaren. This variant is generally found in the northern parts of Scotland and is derived from the MacLaren clan of Argyll. However, other variants can also be found, including M'Clarn, M'Claran, M'Claron, McLoren, MacLorene, and MacClorene.
The MacLarens were famed for their love of poetry and their passionate love of Scotland—which made them a notable clan in the country's history. MacLarens were also known as fierce warriors who fought for their land and people.
In modern times, the M'Clarene surname is still found in Scotland, but it is also found in countries around the world. In the United States, the surname is usually spelled McLaren or MacLaren. In Australia, the most popular spelling is generally McClaren.
The variants and spellings of the surname M'Clarene reflect the rich culture of Scotland and the proud people who once composed it, and have now spanned across the world.
Famous people with the name M'Clarene
- Stuart M’Clarene: Stuart M’Clarene is a British actor, best known for his recurring role as Mojo the Clown in the Cosgrove Hall children's programme Chorlton and the Wheelies.
- John M’Clarene: John M’Clarene is an American entrepreneur, investor, and philanthropist. He is the founder and former CEO of the technology firm DAT Analystics and a venture partner at the venture capital firm Aflac Ventures.
- Tamsin M'Clarene: Tamsin M’Clarene is an British singer-songwriter and pianist. She began her career in the late 1990s and has since gone on to release five albums.
- Rachel M’Clarene: Rachel M’Clarene is an actress, model, and reality television star. She first appeared on the British Channel 4 series, The Real World before going on to star in two reality series of her own.
- David M’Clarene: David M’Clarene is a Scottish actor, best known for his roles in The Elizabethan Age: Lord of Misrule and Hinterland.
- Maureen M’Clarene: Maureen M’Clarene is a Welsh politician and trade unionist. She was the Member of Parliament for the Isle of Anglesey from 1969 to 1983 and is currently a member of the Gwynedd County Council.
- Simon M’Clarene: Simon M’Clarene is an English novelist and poet. He is best known for his books including The Wind Chimes and The House Without a Heart.
- Claire M’Clarene: Claire M’Clarene is an Irish actress and model. She is best known for her appearance in the made-for-television movie The Choice is Yours and the Dublin-based short horror film Where the Dead Go.