Surname MacHatton - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
MacHatton: What does the surname MacHatton mean?
The surname MacHatton is thought to be Scottish and Irish in origin, however, the exact meaning is not clearly defined. The name is possibly a variant of the surname McHatton, which is derived from the Gaelic "Mac Eacháin", meaning "son of Eachán". The name Eachán itself is a Gaelic variant of Hector, meaning "horse owner" or "horseman". Thus, MacHatton could indirectly mean "son of the horseman." It's important to remember that meanings of surnames can be interpreted in various ways and directly associating a meaning from a modern English word to an ancient surname can be misleading as these names started geographically, by trade, or by personal characteristic. The name would have identified a person as a member of the MacHatton clan or family, from an ancestor named Eachán or Hector. In some cases, it could have identified an individual as living near a distinctive landmark or geographic feature or even evident their trade or profession. This can only be considered speculation unless backed by reliable evidence.Order DNA origin analysis
MacHatton: Where does the name MacHatton come from?
The last name MacHatton, according to several sources, is of Scottish origin. The "Mac" begins many Scottish and Irish names and means "son of." Hence, MacHatton translates to "son of Hatton." Hatton can be traced back to a place name in Cheshire, England, deriving from the Old English words "haet" (heathland, heather) and "tun" (farm, settlement). Yet, despite this connection, the use of "MacHatton" is more prevalent and thus associated with Scotland.
Today, MacHatton is not a common surname. It has spread from Scotland during various periods of migration and could be found in countries where Scots emigrated, such as the United States, Canada, and Australia. However, it doesn't register in most databases of common surnames in these countries, suggesting it remains relatively rare. In Scotland, too, while surnames beginning with "Mac" are common, MacHatton specifically is less so. Further research may be required for more precise current geographic distribution of the MacHatton surname.
Variations of the surname MacHatton
The surname MacHatton is of Scottish origin and is derived from the Gaelic Mac Aodháin, which means "son of Aodhan". It's related to the personal name Aedan, a diminutive of Aed meaning "fire".
Variants and alternate spellings of MacHatton may include Mchattan, Mchatten, Mchatton, Machatton, Mackhatton. Other similar spellings might also be McKetton, McKhettan, Mckhattan, and McKhatten.
It's important to note that MacHatton could potentially be anglicised into different forms due to regional accents and various phonetic spellings throughout historical documentation. For instance, the prefix Mac can also be written as Mc, M', Mak, or Mck. The spelling of "Hatton" could also vary; creative spellings due to phonetic translations might be Hattan, Hetton, Hattin, Hatten etc.
It's also associated with the surnames Eaton and Eton as result of Anglicanization and localization over the centuries.
The surname distribution has changed over time, and variations of the name MacHatton can be found internationally due to descendants migrating and the influence of local languages on spelling. These derivations make genealogical research for this surname complex but fascinating.
Famous people with the name MacHatton
- Julius MacHatton: Julius is a multi-Grammy winning singer and songwriter. He is famously known for his country music hits.
- Hawthorne MacHatton: Hawthorne is an actor who won an Academy award for Best Actor in a Leading Role in the 2020 film, The Passenger.
- Laverne MacHatton: Laverne is a British author and illustrator who is best known for her 2002 children's book, The Dream Thief.
- Basil MacHatton: Basil is an American singer and songwriter who is well known for his work in the world of hip hop and rap.
- Marilyn MacHatton: Marilyn is an American actress who is best known for her roles in television series such as True Blood and NCIS.
- Evelyn MacHatton: Evelyn is a playwright and theater director whose works have been produced in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia.
- Maureen MacHatton: Maureen is a fashion designer who is best known for her work with high-end fashion labels such as Gucci and Fendi.
- Theodore MacHatton: Theodore is an American architect who is known for his award-winning design of the Los Angeles Concert Hall.
- Winston MacHatton: Winston is a professional basketball player who was drafted into the National Basketball Association in 2021.
- Blake MacHatton: Blake is an Australian musician who is most noted for his work with the band, The MacHattons.