Surname MacMain - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
MacMain: What does the surname MacMain mean?
The surname MacMain is an anglicized version of the Irish Gaelic name MacMaoláin, which translates to mean "son of Maoláin". In Irish tradition, Maoláin was a popular personal name associated with the 12th century Cistercian abbot known as St. Maoláin, the patron saint of Inishkeen, County Donegal.
The MacMain name is likely associated with ancient Irish clans from Donegal, and is thought to have been established by the 17th Century. Though a relatively uncommon name in Ireland as a whole, the MacMain surname is well-represented in Donegal where many members from the clan still live today.
The MacMain family’s legacy of hard work and strength lives on today through Irish proverbs such as ‘Trí gorta do mhaillíne, níor éirigh macmhaillíne”, translated to “even if you had three harvests, a MacMain would not rise” – a testament to the enduring nature of the MacMain family.
The MacMain family stands proud and strong, having faced many hardships and challenges throughout their history. Like many Irish families, the MacMains have found success all over the world, contributing to businesses, culture, and society. Though the exact origin of the MacMain surname is unknown, it is clear that the MacMain legacy will continue to live on for generations to come.Order DNA origin analysis
MacMain: Where does the name MacMain come from?
The last name MacMain is primarily found in Scotland today, though some examples of the name have been found elsewhere throughout the world. Scottish emigrants from Scotland’s Highlands and Islands region are thought to be the original bearers of the MacMain surname.
The MacMain clan is believed to have descended from the ancient Celts, with the name being anglicized as MacQuhaine and MacNevin before the final surname adaptation of MacMain. MacMains were once common throughout Scotland’s Dumfries and Galloway region, but the regional popularity of the name has since shifted to the Scottish Highlands region.
Numerous records with the MacMain name still exist in Scotland, with varying spellings. The most common variations of the MacMain name include MacMeand, MacMain, MacMen, MacManus, and McManus.
Outside of Scotland, the MacMain name can also be found in small numbers all across the United Kingdom and in various countries throughout the English-speaking world, including the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and South Africa. It has also been observed in countries with strong Scottish ties, such as Argentina and Uruguay.
The MacMain name is still sporadically found in Ireland as well, though this is largely attributed to the Scottish emigrants who settled in Ireland in centuries past.
Variations of the surname MacMain
The MacMain surname is often also spelt as MacMaine, MacMayne or MacMan. Variations in spelling of the name began when legal requirements to have a reasonably consistent spelling of surnames was made. As a result, people have continued to use different versions of the name.
The MacMain surname is of Scottish and Irish origin and is an Anglicization of the Gaelic Mac Maghnuis, meaning “son of Magnus”. This surname is most commonly found in Ulster, Scotland and in some parts of America.
There are a number of other variations of the name which are associated with the MacMain surname, some of which include McMaine, McMayne, McMains, Maines and Maing. All these variants of the name are derived from the same ancestral source and therefore offer different spellings of the surname.
It is possible to trace the MacMain name back to the 12th century with the earliest recorded mention of the name being found in Monaghan, Ireland. It is also believed that the MacMain family originated in Scotland, but moved to Ireland due to political or religious reasons.
The MacMain surname is still common today, particularly in North America where there are many individuals with this surname. It is believed that many MacMain families in the US have descended from immigrants who arrived in the 19th century from Scotland and Ireland.
Famous people with the name MacMain
- Ashley MacMain: Actor, stunt performer, and fight choreographer
- David MacMain: US chess Grandmaster
- Robert N. MacMain: US Navy admiral and Pearl Harbor survivor
- Signy Coleman MacMain: Actress best known for her role in the television series ‘Highway to Heaven’
- Karen MacMain: Olympian diver and NCAA diving coach
- William MacMain: 19th century US mathematician
- John C. MacMain: Canadian politician
- Hallam MacMain: Producer, writer, musician, and actor
- Nelson A. MacMain: US Congressman from Pennsylvania
- Bruce MacMain: Host, narrator, and writer for PBS television series
- Sam MacMain: Canadian pilot decorated for bravery in WW2
- Gordon MacMain: English policeman and timing specialist for the Oxford University athletics team
- Blythe MacMain: Commercial actress and producer
- Gilbert MacMain: English archaeologist and historian
- Emma MacMain: Novelist and storyteller
- Aidan MacMain: Scottish folk musician
- Edward MacMain Jr.: US Army soldier awarded the Medal of Honor
- William J. MacMain: Member of US House of Representatives
- William E. MacMain: US Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient
- Michael MacMain: Music producer and composer