Surname Manaton - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Manaton: What does the surname Manaton mean?
The surname Manaton is of English origin and is predominantly found in Devon, a county in Southwest England. It is a habitation surname, meaning that it derives from a place name, usually the location where the person originally lived or held land. Specifically, the surname Manaton is associated with the village of Manaton in Devon. The place name Manaton is thought to originate from the Old English words "mann" meaning "man" and "tūn" meaning "farmstead" or "estate," thus implying that the original bearers of the name were dwellers or workers at a man's farmstead or estate. Like many surnames, it has undergone various spellings over centuries, including Manaton and Mannaton. It's important to remember that surnames can carry varying meanings and interpretations depending on cultural and historical contexts.
Manaton: Where does the name Manaton come from?
The surname Manaton is primarily of English origin. It is geographical and originates from the village of Manaton, positioned in the county of Devon in the southwestern part of England. This place-name is derived from the old English words "mann" meaning a man and "tun" indicating an enclosure or settlement, a prevalent element in English place-names.
The surname in its earliest form can be traced back to the 13th century in historical records from this region of England. Despite its origins, the Manaton surname is uncommon in the present day United Kingdom.
Its spread to other countries such as the United States, Australia, and New Zealand is likely due to English emigration patterns, particularly during colonial periods. While the distribution of the Manaton surname can be found in these countries, it remains an infrequent surname across the globe. Therefore, it is not especially common anywhere today, maintaining a relatively low distribution worldwide.
Variations of the surname Manaton
The surname Manaton probably stemmed from a geographical location, likely a town or village. Variants of the surname Manaton could include Manaton, Manatonn, Mannaton, Manoten, Manotten, and Manottan. This surname might also be spelled as Moneton, Monoton, or Monatan if it was orally passed down as these translations are phonetically similar. Moreover, a common practice was to include 'de' before the locale, which could result in the variant De Manaton.
Another possibility is the transformation of 'Manaton' to other similar sounding or regionally influenced names. For instance, surnames like Mannington, Mannaton, and Manington can be considered as possible variants. Similarly, the names Meneton, Menoton, and Menatan could be related due to the similarity in their phonetics and spelling.
Sometimes, the people adopted surnames based on the distinct features of their place which might introduce discrepancies in spelling or lead to new variants. However, these would still have traceable roots to the original.
On the whole, tracing variations of the surname 'Manaton' can be quite challenging due to regional dialects, differences in spelling and phonetics, and personal preferences.
Famous people with the name Manaton
- Luke Manaton: English actor best known for his role as Lommy Greenhands in HBO's series Game of Thrones.
- Caroline Manaton: founder of Manaton Financial Services, a highly respected financial services company in the US.
- Nathan Manaton: British broadcaster and journalist for the BBC and Channel 4.
- Harry Manaton: Former piano concert pianist who won MTV's Unplugged competition in 1995.
- Laurence Manaton: international entrepreneur and businessperson who founded the IT consultancy firm, Parabole Consulting.
- Jacqueline Manaton: singer and songwriter from the UK who is best known for her singles "Where We Begin" and "Do Right".
- William Manaton: reconised landscape photographer whose work has appeared in numerous books and magazines.
- Matthew Manaton: British sailor and adventurer, who was the first person to sail solo around the world in 1855.
- Annabel Manaton: award winning author, editor, and illustrator, she is best known for her fantasy series, The Storyteller's Tale.
- Molly Manaton: renowned children's illustrator who has won several awards for her illustrations.