Surname Mangus - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Mangus: What does the surname Mangus mean?
The last name Mangus is a German surname that originated from the personal name Mangus which in turn is derived from the Ancient Greek name μάγος (magos). In the New Testament, the Greek term magos is used to refer to the Magi (wise men or king's sorcerers) who visited Jesus after his birth.
It is not entirely clear when, or how, the name Mangus began to be used as a surname in German areas. It could have originated from a village of the same name, a form of the personal name Magnus, or been derived from a profession such as a huntsman or craftsman.
The name Mangus could also be derived from the Germanic element "magi" meaning "magic," which was often used in reference to the wise men or sorcerers of ancient times. This reference likely also explains the popularity of the name among witches and spellcasters.
It is agreed, however, that the name Mangus is an extremely rare surname and is purported to be even rarer than the name "Mangum." It is likely not found in any other communities outside Germany.
In the German language, themeaning of the Mangus surname is believed to be "magical," "magician" or "magical one." Overall, the name Mangus is a unique and uncommon surname, derived from the ancient Greek and with implications of magic.
Mangus: Where does the name Mangus come from?
The last name Mangus is most common today in the United States and in Germany. In the US, Mangus is most prominent in states such as Texas, California, Florida, and New York. California is the state where the name is most concentrated. In Germany, Mangus is primarily found in Bavaria and in the surrounding regions.
In addition to the US and Germany, Mangus is a relatively uncommon but still present surname in countries including England, France, Austria, and Switzerland. It is generally not found in large numbers in any of these countries, with the exception of Austria, where Mangus appears at a higher frequency than in other countries.
The origin of the last name Mangus is thought to be Germanic in origin. It is likely derived from the Latin name Magnus, which means 'Great'. Magnus was used as a Roman title, adopted by certain Germanic peoples as a personal name. The surname itself is associated with nobles and high-social class individuals, implying that it was once borne by individuals who achieved great distinction in their society.
Variations of the surname Mangus
Mangus is an uncommon surname, however, its spelling or variants may include Manguss, Manguso, Mangusi, Mangussi, Mangusso, Mangoso, Magozzi, Mangiozzi, Magnano, Macagnano, Magagna, Manzo, Maggiaco, Mangiacotti, Mazzotta, and Manginazzo.
Mangus is thought to have been derived from the Magno, a Lombardic variant of the Latin word magnus meaning "great." This surname may have been used to refer to a tall person or as a nickname. The spelling Mangussi is thought to be derived from the ancient Latin personal name Mammocius, which may mean “great protector.”
In Italy, Manguso, Manguso, and Mangussi are thought to be an Italianization of the German name Mangus, which is derived from the Latin Matthaeus or Matthew. The Italian form Manguso may also be related to the Medieval Latin name Magusinus or magical, meaning "magical" or "magician."
The surname Macagnano is derived from maccagnano, a dialectal term for the Magno. This surname could have been used as a nickname for someone who was strong, powerful, or tall. Mazzotta is thought to derive from the Occitan word mascot, which means "strong" and "valiant."
In the United States, the form Manginazzo is likely derived from the Italian name Mancinazzo, which means "son of the armorer," and Mangiacotti derives from the Italian surname Mangiare, meaning "one who eats." Lastly, Magagna is an Americanized form of the surname Manguso, likely derived from Magno or great majesty.
Famous people with the name Mangus
- Matt Mangus: Matt Mangus is an American actor and producer, best known for his role as a stunt driver and hero in the 2010 action movie The Bourne Legacy.
- Gary Mangus: Gary Mangus is an American musician and composer. He is best known for his work with the band Cypress Hill.
- Jeff Mangus: Jeff Mangus is an American comedian and actor. He is best known for his appearances on comedy shows like Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
- Vincent Mangus: Vincent Mangus is an American poet and lyricist, best known for his work with the punk rock band Black Flag.
- Bobby Mangus: Bobby Mangus is an American guitarist and vocalist. He is best known for playing with the rock band Nickelback.
- Chris Mangus: Chris Mangus is an American actor, comedian and writer. He is best known for his role as a recurring character on the hit television series 30 Rock.
- Joshua Mangus: Joshua Mangus is an American actor and filmmaker. He is best known for his role in the horror movie Last Shift and the short film The Candyman.
- Lyle Mangus: Lyle Mangus is an American actor and producer, best known for his role in the 1999 film Scream 3. 9.Jill Mangus: Jill Mangus is an American television actress, best known for her role in the television series Desperate Housewives.