Surname Matherell - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Matherell: What does the surname Matherell mean?
The last name Matherell is believed to be derived from the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture and is derived from the personal name "Mather". This name was derived from the Old English pre 7th Century element "maeþer" which meant "mother". It is likely that the name is also derived from an early medieval personal name which is derived from the pre 7th Century "maþe", which means "mighty".
In the middle ages, Matherell was a common surname and could be found in many different countries in Europe. In some cases, the name may have been adapted by immigrants into other cultures and countries. It is possible that the name has been adapted or shortened to the current spelling Matherell over time.
The name is also closely related to the merging of two families. It is believed that this surname was used as a form of identification to ensure that members of the same family were joined together. In some cases, the surname may have been unofficially adopted by certain people who wanted to be associated with powerful families.
Today, people with the name Matherell can be found in many different parts of the world and they come from many different cultural backgrounds. They all share a strong connection to their Anglo-Saxon roots and the name is still commonly used in many parts of Europe. In America, Matherell is a relatively rare name, but one that still carries a great sense of family pride and heritage.Order DNA origin analysis
Matherell: Where does the name Matherell come from?
The last name Matherell, though uncommon, is found in many countries and regions around the world today. In England, Matherell is most commonly found in London, Birmingham, Liverpool, and other major cities. In the United States, the name is most often found in the Northeast, including New York, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts. It is also found in California. In Canada, Matherell is often found in Ontario and British Columbia.
In Europe, the name Matherell is most common in Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. It is also found in France and Germany. In Australia, the name is found in New South Wales and Victoria. In South America, the name is found in Brazil. The name is also found in parts of Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.
In all these places, the name Matherell is likely of English origin, since the name was first found in England. It is thought that Matherell is derived from an old English nickname meaning "the mason" or "the one who works with stone".
Overall, Matherell is an uncommon name, but it is found in many places around the world. It may have come from England originally, but it has spread throughout the centuries and is now found in many countries today.
Variations of the surname Matherell
Matherell is a rare surname that is believed to have originated in England. Variants of this unusual name include Matherole, Mattieroll, and Matieral. All of these variant surnames come from the Old French personal name Mathieu, which was popularized by the Latin form of Saint Matthew, a follower of Jesus Christ.
The variants of Matherell vary in spelling and pronunciation. The base form of the surname, Matherell, is typically pronounced MATH-er-ell. The variants, Matherole and Mattieroll, both feature an elongated middle syllable, with Mattieroll being pronounced mat-ee-er-oll and Matherole being pronounced math-er-ole. The surname Matieral is the most unusual variant, as it does not feature the same elongated sound as the other two. It is usually pronounced either muh-thir-ahl or mah-thir-ahl.
These surnames all have English roots and can be traced to early records dating as far back as the 12th century. The meaning of this surname appears to have been derived from Mathieu, the French personal name, which means “gift of God”. The original Matherell family was likely a Norman family, meaning they were of French descent.
The Matherell surname has spread far and wide over the years and can now be found in many different countries across the globe. However, Matherell is still considered a very rare name. Thus, many more common spelling variants such as Mathews, Matthews, and Masters can be found in place of Matherell.
Famous people with the name Matherell
- Zayn Matherell: Actor and philanthropist of Nigerian descent. He appeared in the Nigerian movies Hotel Majestic, Bell of Urgency, and The Wasted Years.
- Hillary Matherell: Singer-songwriter who rose to fame with her debut album Goodbye Girl. She has gone on to win a Grammy Award and perform at the Emmys.
- Kerri Matherell: American fashion designer born in San Francisco who has been featured in Vogue and Elle. She has dressed many red carpet celebrities including Beyonce.
- Stephen Matherell: England rugby player who competed in the Rugby World Cup in 2003 and won the Premiership Cup in 2005.
- Agama Matherell: Contemporary painter and sculptor from Kenya who is best known for his mixed media work with found objects.
- Sloane Matherell: Academic researcher and lecturer at a university in the UK who specialises in psychiatric rehabilitation for people living with mental illness.
- Mark Matherell: Award-winning Australian film director who has worked on the feature films East West 101 and Broken Hill.
- Cole Matherell: British professional skateboarder and YouTuber who has been competing since 2013 and has recently been sponsored by skate apparel brand Supra.
- Ryan Matherell: Professional FIFA player and Twitch streamer with over 366K followers on the platform. 10.carla matherell- american long distance runner who is widely known for her record breaking times in marathon events.