Surname Mattingly - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Mattingly: What does the surname Mattingly mean?
The last name Mattingly is of English and Irish origin. It derives from the Old French "Mathelin" which was a pet form of "Matthew". The name was also commonly Anglicised in Ireland as Maddingly, Maddinally, and Matty.
Mattingly is an occupational surname, meaning it was likely held by a person whose job revolved around the craft of matting or mat-weaving. This craft was once a popular and important form of decoration in European homes and churches. Mattingly may also be derived from a nickname for a person with qualities similar to a mat or matting.
Mattingly is a very rare surname, and can only be found in the United States and England. It is most frequent in the South of England, where it is thought to have originated from the Middle English word "matten" meaning "lifeless" or "lifelessness". This is most likely a reference to the weave of the matting or mattingly which at times could look quite lifeless.
The surname Mattingly is now most widespread in the United States, particularly in the states of Kentucky, Illinois, and Missouri. In the UK, it is still quite rare, having only been recorded in Surrey and Yorkshire.
Overall, Mattingly is a rare but interesting surname with an interesting origin story.
Mattingly: Where does the name Mattingly come from?
The last name Mattingly is most common in the US, with it being the 762nd most popular last name in the country. It is particularly common in the south-central United States, primarily in Kentucky. In Kentucky, it is the 78th most common last name, primarily in Nelson County and Grant and Scott Counties. The Mattingly surname is thought to have originated in Germany and France, but it was brought to the United States by immigrants in the late 1600s and early 1700s. It is derived from a place in the region of Berry, France. In the US, most people of the Mattingly last name are descended from the Mattinglys of Nelson County, Kentucky, who arrived in the state in the 1820s. It’s hypothesized that the Kentucky Mattinglys are all descended from a common ancestor, believed to be Valentine Mattingly. The Mattingly last name is still quite widespread in Kentucky and the surrounding states today. There are also a significant number of people with this surname living in other parts of the United States, including Michigan, California, and Texas.
Variations of the surname Mattingly
The surname Mattingly is of English origin, derived from the city of Mattancy in County Norfolk. Variants of the surname include Mattingley, Matchett, Mettam, Meddyngley, Madeley and Mattings. Spelling variations of the name include Mat-tency, Mad-tency, Mat-tings, Man-dinge, Mate-ling and many others.
There are many spellings and alternative surnames that were historically adopted by people bearing the Mattingly surname, such as Mat-tey, Mattingsly, Medoynglie,Manly, Mattle, Madelley, Madding, Mayland, Matingley, Mattingley, Mattanly, Mattennly, Matanly and Mettanly.
There are also many Irish variations of the name including Maddin and Mattingly. The name is also found in the Scottish-Gaelic language as MacMaddin and MacMattingly.
In Germany it is spelled Matting, and in parts of France it is pronounced and spelled Matineau. Other regional spellings include Maatynge, Mattinye and Mattinger. In Northern Ireland the name is held by descendants of a Scottish pattern formed from the same source as the Mattingly name; it’s variant is MacMattingly.
As the name has spread over time and been subject to regional variations in pronunciation, spelling and usage, it continues to appear in many different forms and variations around the world. Thus, the Mattingly surname has several variants, spellings and associated surnames of the same origin.
Famous people with the name Mattingly
- Don Mattingly: Former American Baseball Pro who played for the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers and managed the Miami Marlins
- Mike Mattingly: American football quarterback who played professionally with the Atlanta Falcons, Washington Redskins, and Dallas Cowboys
- Dan Mattingly: Former professional American baseballer in the Milwaukee Brewers and Florida Marlins minor league teams
- Kyle Mattingly: Former American college football defensive back who played for the University of Tennessee
- Brad Mattingly: Former Major League Baseball utility player who played for the Los Angeles Dodgers, Philadelphia Phillies, and Atlanta Braves
- Steve Mattingly: Former American Major League Baseball pitcher who played with the Kansas City Royals and Minnesota Twins
- Jimmy Mattingly: American country and folk singer-songwriter and founding member of the bluegrass band The Infamous Stringdusters
- Amy Mattingly: American country music artist signed to BMG Nashville
- Katie Mattingly: American actress known for her roles in such films as One True Thing and World Trade Center
- Tony Mattingly: Former American professional baseball player who primarily played as a first baseman in the minor leagues