Surname McEnerney - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
McEnerney: What does the surname McEnerney mean?
The last name McEnerney is of Irish origin, and derives from the Gaelic Mac an Eireamhonaigh. Translated to English, this means "son of the honorable Eireamhon", with Eireamhon being a personal name derived from the Irish word for honourable (eireamh). McEnerney is one of many surnames of very similar spelling and origin, ranging from Mac Anair to McAnir, MacInerney, McEnearney, O'Nenerney and McEnerny.
McEnerney is primarily associated with County Westmeath and County Galway in Ireland, and typically has been a surname associated with Catholic families in Ireland. It is believed that the earliest recorded spelling of the name, as anciently spelled in Ireland, was that of Mac An Eireamhonaigh circa 1569. It is also important to note that many of the McEnerney families emigrated from Ireland to the US in the 1840s and '50s, particularly during the potato famine.
McEnerney remains a typically Irish family name today, and is associated with strong family traditions and values. It is even more special in that many of the families who came over with the surname during the 1850s have retained the spelling of the original Irish spelling and retained their Irish heritage over the years.
McEnerney: Where does the name McEnerney come from?
The last name McEnerney is an Irish surname which is still relatively common, particularly in Ireland. In fact, it ranks as the 263rd most common surname in the Republic of Ireland. It has likely been present in Ireland since the 13th century.
In the United States, McEnerney is also relatively common. It ranks as the 8657th most common name in the United States, according to the 2020 data from the US Census Bureau. This suggests that there could be up to 10,000 individuals with the last name McEnerney in the United States.
Outside of these two countries, McEnerney is relatively rare. It is common in the United Kingdom, for example, but only ranks as the 1526th most common surname there. It is even rarer in continental Europe, with no reliable data available for any countries.
Overall, the last name McEnerney is most common in Ireland and the United States. In other western countries, such as the UK, it is relatively uncommon. It is even rarer in the rest of the world.
Variations of the surname McEnerney
The variant, spellings and surnames of the same origin for the surname McEnerney are:
McEnerny, MacEnerny, MacEnerney, McEnirney, MacEnirney, MacEnirny, Mckinnerney, MacKinnerny, McKinnerny and Mchenery.
McEnerney is an Irish surname of Norman origin. The Irish version of the name, Mac An Airlinn means "son of the heir." It derives from the Old French personal name Erneis, which was composed of the elements Ern(e) "eagle" and Wais "wise".
The surname McEnerney can that can be seen in both Ireland and Scotland. In Scotland, the name can be linked to Clan Macdonald of Sleat who have the McEnerney Surname in their clan.
The name is also found on different parts of the world including the United States, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. In the United States, One of the earliest record of the surname McEnerney is found in the Obituary Records of Marion McEnerney in January 1900.
The variant spellings of the name have also been retained. This variant spellings include McAnerney, MacAnerney, MacEnirney, McKinnerny, MacKinnerny, MacEnirny, and Machenery.
The surname is also commonly found with the McEnerney spelling. It is thought that the majority of the McEnerney in Ireland originate from County Donegal. It is also found in other areas of Ireland including Leitrim, Limerick, Cork, Clare, as well as Connacht.
The McEnerney surname is still and will continue to be used in Ireland and the rest of the world.
Famous people with the name McEnerney
- Molly McEnerney: a professional basketball player who graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay and plays professionally in Europe.
- Mike McEnerney: a track and field athlete who set four South Australian state records in the high jump and placed fourth at the IAAF World U20 Championships in 2016.
- Kevin McEnerney: a former college basketball player for St. John’s University who played in the NBA for the Milwaukee Bucks and Washington Bullets and now coaches at his alma mater.
- Tim McEnerney: an American soccer goalkeeper who played in the National American Soccer League and for the Philadelphia Atoms in 1973.
- Sean McEnerney: a former professional lacrosse player who played with the Boston Blazers and now works as a coach and lacrosse manager for the U19 Canadian National lacrosse team.
- Chris McEnerney: a former professional ice hockey player who played in the NHL for the Ottawa Senators and Los Angeles Kings and now serves as the Canadian men's hockey team's director of player personnel.
- Agnes McEnerney: a professional surfer who competed on the World Surf League tour in 2017 and won the World Surf League's Pacific Region Championship in 2018.
- Andrew McEnerney: an award-winning songwriter and producer who is a two-time Grammy-nominated artist.
- A.J. McEnerney: the founder of the clothing line “South of the Border,” he was inducted into the Surfers Walk of Fame in 2018.
- Connor McEnerney: an American military veteran who served in the United States Marine Corps for 10 years and is now a theater director, actor, and producer.