Surname Monette - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Monette: What does the surname Monette mean?
The last name Monette is a French surname of Norman origins. It originated from the Old French word monnet, which is an old form of the French word for "minnow" or small fish. The early Normans who brought this surname to Britain were fisherman or those who lived by near rivers and lakes. As such, the original literal meaning of Monette may have been "one who lives near a river or lake, or one who catches small fish".
Through time, Monette has evolved and currently bears a more symbolic meaning for many people. In modern times, Monette has come to represent an individual who is adaptive and resourceful. Such individual are quick to recognize any new opportunities that come their way, and can make great use of them in order to get ahead. This is likely linked to the original roots of Monette, which suggests someone that was skilled in catching food.
Overall, the name Monette has a rich history. It is associated with both literal and more figurative meanings, as it still speaks to the resourcefulness of the early Normans. Many people who bear Monette can be proud of their name’s history, though their own individual connotations may vary.
Monette: Where does the name Monette come from?
The last name Monette is most common in France today. It can also be found in North America, particularly among immigrants of French heritage.
In France, the last name Monette has been in use since medieval times and is associated with the ancient regions of Normandy, Picardy, and Poitou-Charentes. It is believed to be derived from the diminutive of the Latin name Monetius, meaning “child of money.” According to genealogical data, there are over 5,500 individuals recorded with this surname in France.
In North America, the last name Monette is most common in Canada. In the United States, it is found predominantly in the New England region, with large numbers in the states of Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire. Canadian records from the 2016 census indicate that approximately 1,484 individuals carry this last name.
Overall, the surname Monette is carried by around 7,000 people around the world. It is an uncommon surname which is, however, particularly widespread in France and Canada. It is a brand name rich with culture, reflecting the ancient French roots of the family surname.
Variations of the surname Monette
The surname Monette is a variant of the French surname Monet. It is a patronymic and surname of Norman origin, derived from the popular medieval given name Monet, meaning ‘man’.
Variants of Monette include Monet, Monnet, Monette, Monette, Monnet, Monnett, and Monnett. The different spellings of Monette could be due to a variety of reasons, such as illiteracy or accents, and could result in a variety of surnames.
Surnames related to Monette are Monnet and Mont. Monnet is a French surname derived from the Old French ‘monet’, meaning ‘money’, and is also related to Monette. Mont is a French surname derived from the Norman French ‘mon’, meaning ‘mountain’ or ‘hill’.
Monette is associated with other surnames such as Monestier, Monestie, Montier, Moncey, Monceau, and Monot. Monestier is a French surname derived from the Latin word ‘mons’ meaning ‘hill’, while Monestie is a French surname derived from ‘floating island’ and Montier is an old French nickname for a ‘sterile’ person. Moncey and Monceau are both derived from the French word ‘moun’, meaning ‘mount’, while Monot is an ancient Norman occupational surname derived from ‘monter’, meaning ‘to mount’.
Famous people with the name Monette
- Dave Monette: Arguably the most famous person with the last name Monette, Dave Monette is an American master craftsman and owner of Monette Brass Musical Instruments.
- Ryan Monette: Ryan Monette is a Canadian actor who has appeared numerous television shows, including In the North, Beauty & the Beast, and Max & Shred.
- Michael Monette: Michael Monette is a Canadian businessman, entrepreneur and philanthropist who founded and sold several successful businesses.
- Rebecca Monette: Rebecca Monette is a Canadian trance vocalist and lyricist, best known for her work with Conjure One and Delerium.
- Hugo Monette: Hugo Monette is a French kickboxer who has competed in K-1, Glory and Bellator Kickboxing matches.
- Blanche Monette: Blanche Monette is a French-Canadian actress who has starred in movies such as The Stronghold, Noraddin, and Zoo Run.
- Severus Monette: Severus Monette is a French politician who is currently the mayor of Grasse in the Provence region.
- Marc Monette: Marc Monette is a Canadian politician and former Quebec minister of sustainable development, environment, and fight against climate change.
- Anna Maria Monette: Anna Maria Monette is an Italian film producer supporting independent films.
- Georges Monette: Georges Monette is a French architect who has designed some of the most iconic buildings in Paris, such as the La Cite residence in the Marais district.