Surname Schenfisch - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'S'
Schenfisch: What does the surname Schenfisch mean?
The surname Schenfisch is of German origin. It is a topographic name derived from Schanf isch, Old German for "woodland lake". This family name is sometimes spelled Schanfisch, Schonfisch, Schenfisch, and Shonfish.
It is believed the earliest members of the Schenfisch family lived in what is now called Saxony, an area of Germany considered to be the home of Germanic people since about 800 A.D. Over time, the family dispersed and migrated to other parts of Germany, eventually settling in nearby Bavaria.
Records show that Schenfisch is the name of a village in West Prussia, a province in Germany. By the 14-17th century the name had already reached all the way to France, Denmark, Holland, England, and the United States.
Today, there are Schenfischs scattered across the world. They now live in many different countries, including the USA, UK, Australia, Canada, and Germany.
The Schenfisch surname carries with it a strong sense of history, belonging to a lineage that dates back centuries. This legacy has held a deep significance for many family members, connecting them to a shared heritage and cultural identity. This unique sense of belonging serves as a powerful source of pride and connection between members of the Schenfisch family.Order DNA origin analysis
Schenfisch: Where does the name Schenfisch come from?
The last name Schenfisch is of German origin and is common today mostly in Germany, but also in other parts of Europe, especially in Austria, Switzerland and the Czech Republic. It is also known to be found in countries across South America, particularly in Argentina, Colombia and Chile.
The name originally comes from the German word “Shenfisch,” which means “one who is a treasurer, banker, or financier.” This implied that when this name was first adopted, the patron may have had some kind of financial occupation, most likely in banking or finance.
In Germany, the surname is found mainly in Bavaria and the states of Baden-Württemberg, Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia, and Thuringia. In Austria, it is mainly located in the provinces of Tyrol and Salzburg.
Additionally, the name can also be found in Northeastern parts of the United States, namely Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan. This is most likely due to German immigrants settling in these areas in the 19th centuries.
Today, the surname is still very common, most likely due to the strong presence of German immigrants in these areas.
Variations of the surname Schenfisch
The surname “Schenfisch” is a German name derived from the Middle German word “schenfise”, which was used to describe someone who makes or fishes for nets and traps. Variations of the surname include:
Schmalfisch: A variation of the surname derived from Middle German and meaning “narrow fish” or “slim fish”.
Schönfisch: A variation of the surname derived from Middle German and meaning “beautiful fish” or “handsome fish”.
Schenfischer: This is the modern German spelling of the surname.
Schäufele: This is a variation of the surname derived from Old High German and meaning “little fish”.
Fische: This is the German spelling of the surname and means “fish”.
Fischel: This is a variation of the surname derived from Middle High German and also means “fish”.
Fischer: This is a variation of the surname derived from Proto-Germanic and also means “fisherman” or “one who fishes”.
Fischman: This is a variation of the surname derived from Proto-Germanic and also means “fisherman” or “one who fishes”.
Fischmann: This is a variation of the surname derived from Middle High German and also means “fisherman” or “one who fishes”.
There are also many other surnames that share a common origin with Schenfisch, such as Fischelmann, Fischell, Fishman, Fishmann, Fischerman, Fisher, and Fishure. All of these surnames have various variations and spellings that are associated with them, and can be used to trace the history of individuals who carry these surnames.
Famous people with the name Schenfisch
- Felix Schenfisch: He is an accomplished physicist who works at the Institute for Physics at the Technical University of Karlsruhe. His work interests span a wide range of technologies, from electronic data processing in nanoscale structures to astronomy and astrophysics.
- Johann Friedrich Schenfisch: He was a German researcher and academic. He served as President of the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina from 1807 to 1820 and was the first professor of zoology at the University of Leipzig in 1803.
- Wilfried Schenfisch: He is an emeritus professor of economics and political science at the University of Rostock, where he has taught since 1996. He has also served as the chairman of the senate at the university since 2003.
- Eugen Schenfisch: He is a German football manager and the current sporting director for the Badisch Soccer Club in Freiburg. He has held this position since being appointed in January 2006.
- Bodo Schenfisch: He is a German-born researcher and author. He is known for his research on early German settlers in the New World and on German immigration and emigration to and from the United States and Canada.