Surname Shanahan - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'S'
Shanahan: What does the surname Shanahan mean?
The last name Shanahan is of Irish origin, derived from the Gaelic name "O'Seanachain." The prefix “O” indicates "descendant of," while "Seanachain" is a diminutive form of "Sean," which means "wise" or "old." Hence, Shanahan roughly translates to "descendent of the wise or old one." It is important to note that the physical or character traits suggested by such interpretations of surnames should not be taken literally – they were often used metaphorically in ancient times to describe the holder's profession, skills, or characteristics. Families with the Shanahan surname are mostly found in County Clare and Tipperary in Ireland.
Shanahan: Where does the name Shanahan come from?
The last name Shanahan is most commonly found in Ireland, particularly in County Tipperary and County Cork. It is a variant of the Irish surname O’Seanachain, meaning “descendant of Seanachan”, which itself is derived from a first name of Sean, than means “God is kind”. It is also found in other parts of the British Isles, particularly in England and Scotland, and in other parts of the English-speaking world, such as the United States, Canada and Australia.
In Ireland, Shanahan is one of the top 50 most commonly found last names, and it is especially popular in the province of Munster, where it has been found since at least the late 17th century. The last name is found in other parts of Ireland as well, and it is fairly evenly spread throughout the country. The 2011 Irish census found that there were over 35,000 people with the last name Shanahan living in Ireland.
In other parts of the English-speaking world, Shanahan is much less common, but it is growing in popularity. The United States currently has the largest number of people with the last name Shanahan outside of Ireland, with over 7,000 people bearing the name in the 2000 US census. In Australia, the last name is also fairly common, with nearly 6,000 people found to be living with it in the 2006 census. Canada also has a strong presence of Shanahans due to Irish immigration and settler patterns, and the Canadian last name census found 8,000 Shanahans living in the country in 2006.
Variations of the surname Shanahan
The variants, spellings and surnames of the same origin for the surname Shanahan are:
1. O Seannacháin: This is the Irish version of the surname, and is derived from the word seanachaidh, meaning “storyteller”.
2. O Shanahane: Another Irish version, derived from the same root word.
3. Shannahan: An Anglicised version resulting from a standardisation of the surname.
4. Shannahan: An alternative version of the Anglicised version, with an extra 'n' at the end.
5. Shannan: A shortened version of the Anglicised version.
6. Shanan: Another shortened version of the Anglicised version, with the 'ha' removed.
7. MacShanahan: A Scottish Gaelic version of Shanahan, literally meaning “son of the storyteller”
8. Mac Shannachan: An alternative version of the Scottish Gaelic surname, with an extra 'n' at the end.
9. Shannacappin: A variant of Shannahan derived from the Irish language, with a “cap” added to the end.
10. Skannanaun: An Irish version derived from the original root word, but with a “sk” instead of an “sh”.
Shanahan is a name that is found throughout different parts of the world although its origins are firmly rooted in Irish culture. The surname has been adapted many times, resulting in many different spellings that all share a common origin. The various versions of the name often reflect the region in which they were adapted. The spelling and variants of the name can be used to trace the migration of the family throughout time.
Famous people with the name Shanahan
- Brendan Shanahan: Professional Hockey Player and Executive in the NHL
- Shane Shanahan: Percussionist, Drummer, Composer
- Mike Shanahan: Professional Football Coach and Executive
- Kyle Shanahan: Professional Football Coach and Offensive Coordinator
- Mike Shanahan Jr.: Professional Football Executive and Son of Mike Shanahan
- Ryan Shanahan: Professional Football Courier and Son of Mike Shanahan
- Emery Shane Shanahan: American Actor
- Caitlin Shanahan: Actress and Dancer
- Peter Shanahan: Novelist and YA Author
- Chris Shanahan: Professional Baseball Umpire