Surname Stockhinger - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'S'
Stockhinger: What does the surname Stockhinger mean?
The last name Stockhinger is an occupational surname derived from the Middle High German word "stochen," which means to stab, pierce, or prick. This was likely a name given to individuals who were once employed as pokers, leather workers, or weapon makers in medieval Germany. The additional "er" at the end of the name has become a common suffix for many occupational surnames, as it simply denotes that someone carries out a particular job.
The surname Stockhinger may have been used for the first time when it was adopted by a guild of leather and metal workers in the 12th century. This guild was made up of individuals who specialized in the making, sharpening, or repairing of weapons. Many of these early Stockhinger individuals may have served as mercenaries for German armies or worked on building castle defenses during the Middle Ages.
What is also interesting about the Stockhinger name is that many of the same occupational titles, such as leather worker and weapon maker, can be found in a range of other German-speaking locations, including Austria and parts of Switzerland. This shows that the surname was likely found in different countries and regions in the past.
In conclusion, the last name Stockhinger is an occupational surname derived from the German word stochen which means to stab, pierce, or prick. It is likely a name originally assigned to individuals who worked in the leather and metal industries in the Middle Ages. The same occupational roots can be seen in German-speaking areas in Austria and Switzerland.
Stockhinger: Where does the name Stockhinger come from?
The last name Stockhinger is common in various countries around the world. In Germany, Stockhinger is most common in the region of Bavaria, located in the south of the country. This could be related to similar surnames that existed in the Middle Ages. In the United States, Stockhinger is found mostly in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York, and California. In Switzerland, Stockhinger is most frequently found in the cantons of Zurich, Bern, and Lucerne. In Australia, the Stockhinger family is common in New South Wales, Victoria, and Western Australia. Other countries where Stockhinger is present include Canada, Ireland, Austria, and the Czech Republic.
The origin of Stockhinger is unclear. It may be derived from the name Stocking and related to the profession of stocking-weaving. Alternatively, it could have a connection to the Old High German word "stoc" meaning "thicket" or "tree trunk".
It is evident that the Stockhinger family is spread out across many countries and continents. While many Stockhingers can trace their origins back to Bavaria, the family has since moved to many other nations and established itself in various locations. It is likely that the Stockhinger family holds many secrets in its rich history that are waiting to be uncovered.
Variations of the surname Stockhinger
The surname Stockhinger is most commonly seen in German-speaking countries, most specifically in Germany and Austria. It is an occupational surname, derived from the word “Stockhauer” or “Stockinger.”
The surname Stocktinger has multiple variants and spellings, depending on the country and region. In Germany, alternative spellings include Stockhäuser, Stockhamer, Stockheim, Stockhori, Stockhaus, Stockenberger, Stocker, Stockert and Stock. In Austria, variants include Stöckinger, Stöckl, Stöcklin, Stöckle, and Stöcklehner.
Stocktinger is a rare surname outside of German-speaking countries, but there are some known variants, such as Stockinger in France, Stockiden in England, and Stockingener in the Netherlands.
There are also several surnames that have the same origin as Stocktinger. The most common of these are Schöckinger in Germany, Schockinger in Austria, Stöcklin in Switzerland, and Stöckler in Liechtenstein.
All in all, Stockhinger is a unique and uncommon surname that is derived from an occupation of the same name. Despite its rarity outside of German-speaking countries, there are multiple variants and spellings of Stocktinger, as well as families that share the same origin.
Famous people with the name Stockhinger
- Rueben Stockhinger: singer/songwriter from Nashville, Tennessee.
- Melina Stockhinger: Certified Accountant and teacher of accounting at Suffolk University.
- Ben Stockhinger: Lead guitarist for the band The Big Little Things.
- Alexander Stockhinger: author and astrophysicist.
- Darren Stockhinger: Major League Baseball pitcher with the Seattle Mariners.
- Ruth Stockhinger: Architectural designer.
- Scott Stockhinger: Professional stuntman and actor.
- Charles Stockhinger: Founder and CEO of the Stockingers Toy Company.
- Jan Stockhinger: Fashion designer, costumer for TV and film.
- Chris Stockhinger: Recording artist and actor.
- Gerald Stockhinger: Emmy award winning documentary filmmaker.
- Alaina Stockhinger: Interior designer and furniture maker.
- Fred Stockhinger: Web developer and artist.
- Mark Stockhinger: Award-winning investigative journalist.
- Nikki Stockhinger: Illustrator and fine artist.
- Leander Stockhinger: Pianist and composer.
- Annalee Stockhinger: Art curator, painter, and sculptor.
- Jack Stockhinger: Television producer and animation expert.
- Helena Stockhinger: Founder and CEO of a non-profit organization, Hands of Hope.
- Cory Stockhinger: Broadway producer and philanthropist.