Surname Willix - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'W'
Willix: What does the surname Willix mean?
The surname Willix is thought to have originated as a baptismal or patronymic name, which is derived from a personal or family name of a father or ancestor. The name is chiefly found in England, and may have been derived from Old English, which is the language of the Anglo-Saxons prior to their assimilation into early English culture in the 5th century.
Alternately, Willix may have been derived from the Old German Wilge, which was a nickname deriving from the word wilga, meaning "willow or stream". As such, the name could have been Native American in origin, referring to a person living near a stream or river with willow trees growing along it.
In some cases, contemporaries have recorded Willix as a descriptive nickname rather than a surname. One instance of this is documented in an administrative document from 1273, which lists a Robert Willix as a "river fisher".
Thus, while Willix may have a variety of possible meanings, it ultimately indicates a person who lived close to a river with willow trees, which may be significant to family members today. As a surname, Willix is fairly uncommon in Britain today, but may be more widespread in other parts of the world.
Willix: Where does the name Willix come from?
The surname Willix can be found all over the world today, but is most common in the United States. According to the United States Census Bureau, the Willix surname appears in the top 2000 most common surname list in the United States, with around 1,262 people bearing the name in 2020.
In the US, the highest concentrations of the Willix surname can be found in Oklahoma, California, Arkansas, Texas, Utah, Iowa and Montana. A spread map from the US Census shows the Willix surname in its heaviest concentrations in the regions of Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas. This surname is less common in the Northeastern and Southeastern united states, though there is some concentration in parts of New York and New Jersey.
In terms of international distribution, the surname Willix is quite rare. According to Forebears, a genealogical research tool, the family name is found in the highest concentrations in Denmark, in the town of Aarhus. The surname is also common in countries such as France, Germany, Canada, Scotland, and Mexico.
It is impossible to know the exact origins of a surname, as records of the past are incomplete. However, some research suggests the Willix surname comes from the Germanic and Olde English personal name “Wilhelm,” which translates to “determined protector.” This could indicate that the Willix surname was given to those who held a position of power, protection, or leadership long ago.
Variations of the surname Willix
The surname Willix is most commonly found in chip sets and related hardware. It can also be spelled as Willixs, Willicks, Wilicks, or Wilix. It is derived from the Germanic surname “Wilke,” meaning “wolf” or “hound.”
The variant spellings which are most closely related in terms of origin are Willixs, Willicks, Wilicks, and Wilix. In some parts of Great Britain, Willix is further contracted to Willy, and in parts of Scotland it can be found as Willisk.
In German speaking regions, the surname Willix is translated into Wilken, Wilkens, and Willkens. In France, it appears as Wilck and Wilcks.
In the Netherlands, the original Germanic form is retained as Wilke. In Scandinavian countries such as Sweden, the surname Willix can be found as Wilkens or Wilkins. The similar Irish surname O’Wilks can also be found, derived from the Gaelic “Ua Huilg”.
The surname Willix is not especially common, but its variants span Eurasia and appear in numerous countries. It continues to be featured in various identifying chips and hardware to this day.
Famous people with the name Willix
- Slade Willix: Slade Willix is a Canadian artist whose work has been featured in galleries in Canada and the United States. He is known for his bold and realistic illustrations of people and animals.
- Wendy Willix: Wendy Willix is a Canadian entrepreneur and television personality, best known as the co-founder of the fashion label "Muse". She is also an active advocate for promoting healthy body image among children and teens.
- Dave Willix: Dave Willix is an American rapper and songwriter. He has been active in the hip hop scene since the 1990s and is known for his lyrical content and technical skills.
- Lauren Willix: Lauren Willix is an American model and actress. She has appeared in various television series and movies, such as "The Mindy Project" and "Scandal".
- Joe Willix: Joe Willix is an American baseball player who has played for the Kansas City Royals, Baltimore Orioles, and the Arizona Diamondbacks. He is known for his powerful batting ability and his defensive prowess.
- Ryan Willix: Ryan Willix is an American professional golfer. He is a two-time winner on the Nationwide Tour and has made the cut in several major professional golf tournaments.
- Joshua Willix: Joshua Willix is an American country music singer-songwriter. His songs have been recorded by major artists, such as Kenny Chesney and LeAnn Rimes, and he has won multiple awards in the genre.