Surname Allar - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'A'
Allar: What does the surname Allar mean?
The surname Allar originates from Finland and refers to someone who is from the village of Allas, located in the Päijät-Häme region of Finland.
In Finnish, the name is a combination of two words: alla, meaning 'below', and kota, meaning 'cottage'. Therefore, Allar can be translated to mean 'someone who lives below the cottage'. Alternately, it could also be translated to mean simply 'below which lies a cottage', indicating someone who resided near the cottage.
In the 16th century, the Allar family was found in the Österbottniska region in far southwest Finland. By the mid-1800s, many members of the Allar family had moved to the region of Viipuri, which is currently located in Russia.
Today, the surname Allar is found not just in Finland but throughout Europe. In the United States, for example, it is commonly found in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and New York. It is likely that many people with the surname Allar in the United States are descended from Scandinavian immigrants, such as Finns.
Overall, the surname Allar is a reminder of the geographical and cultural history of Finland. It is a unique and interesting name that connects those with the surname back to their Finnish roots.Order DNA origin analysis
Allar: Where does the name Allar come from?
The last name Allar is generally accepted as an archaic variant of the Gaelic surname O'Halloran, which is one of the oldest of Irish surnames. O'Halloran originates in the southwestern county of Clare. As a result, Allar is especially common in this region, as well as in the adjoining counties of Galway, Limerick and Tipperary.
For the most part, those bearing the Allar name in Ireland are descended from the original Gaelic clans referenced above. As the nineteenth century was a time of great upheaval for many Irish, the Allar name began to appear in many other parts of the world due to immigration.
Today, the Allar name is found most prominently in the United States. Immigration records indicate that the Allar name first appeared in America in the mid-1800s. During this period, many Irish fleeing in search of a better life chose America as their final destination.
In the decades that followed, the Allar name continued to spread to the Midwest, Northeast and South of the United States. By the mid-twentieth century, Allar had become quite common in America.
In addition to the U.S., the Allar name can be found in many other countries today, including the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Germany, and France. While the Allar surname originated in Ireland, it can now be found all over the world.
Variations of the surname Allar
The surname Allar is commonly spelt in variants including Allar, Allaire, Ollar, Ollaire, Eler, Ellar, Ellory, Ellore, Elloury, Allory, and Allory. It is also commonly spelt as Ellard and Allard dependent upon region.
The surname Allar originated in France, most likely from the Norman Invasion in 1066, and was brought over to England and Ireland during that time. It was quite popular in Normandy as the name appears in the records of 12th century documents.
One well-known variation of the surname Allar is Allard which was particularly popular in England, Ireland, and Wales in the 1600s. This spelling has spread to both Canada and the United States, and some families have changed to a more simplified version such as Allard, Ollard, Eler, and Ellar.
Another prominent version of the surname Allar is Allaire which is a variant of the Germanic ‘Ellar’. This version is popular amongst French Canadians and Haitian immigrants who trace their lineage to France under the rule of King Louis XIV.
Finally, Ollar is likely derived from ‘Allar’ and the numerous spellings such as Ollare, Ollard, and Ollad. This version of the surname is particularly popular in England, Ireland, and Wales.
Overall, the surnames Allar, Allaire, Allard, Ollar, Ollaire, Eler, Ellar, Ellory, Ellore, Elloury, Allory, and Allory are all variants of the same surname of French origin, and each have distinct spellings and lineages independent of one another.
Famous people with the name Allar
- Steven Allar: Steven Allar is an American actor and model known for his roles in films such as War Dogs (2016) and Amazon's The Boys (2019).
- J. Van Allar: J. Van Allar is an American composer, producer, and sound engineer based out of Los Angeles. He has worked on projects such as Singles (1992), The Italian Job (2003), and Barrymore (2011).
- Jared Allar: Jared Allar is an American composer and arranger. He is best known for writing and arranging the music for films like The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) and Legal Action (2018).
- Gunter Allar: Gunter Allar is a German Olympic fencer. He competed in the men's individual épée event at the 1988 Summer Olympics.
- Dylan Allar: Dylan Allar is an American racing driver who has competed in the USF2000 Championship and the Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship.
- Greydon Allar: Greydon Allar is a Canadian magician and host. He is best known for his appearance on Penn & Teller: Fool Us and portraying the character Mr. Belding on prank show Killer Camp.
- Raven Allar: Raven Allar is an American actor, writer, and producer best known for roles in various independent films.
- Alex Allar: Alex Allar is an Estonian artist, mainly interested in painting. His works deal with abstract and surreal elements and can be found in various galleries and museums around the world.