Surname McCravy - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
McCravy: What does the surname McCravy mean?
The surname McCravy is believed to be of Irish origin, part of a group of names deriving from the Gaelic name "Mac Craith." The prefix "Mac" means "son of", while "Craith" can be translated into modern English as "grace" or "prosperity." Hence, McCravy might be roughly understood as "son of grace" or "son of prosperity."
As with many surnames that have existed for centuries, the exact original meaning might be somewhat lost or varied over time as the name was passed down and taken to different parts of the world. Although a literal translation can offer some insight into the name's meaning, it's important to keep in mind that older names often carried symbolic meanings and might refer to traits associated with a particular family line.
The McCravy surname is not very common and is most frequently found in the United States, Ireland, and Scotland, according to various genealogical resources.Order DNA origin analysis
McCravy: Where does the name McCravy come from?
The last name McCravy is of Scottish origin and is a variant of the surname MacRae. The Patronymic MacRae translates to "son of grace." Scottish surnames often bear prefixes like 'Mc' or 'Mac,' which also means "son of." The MacRaes were part of the Clan Chattan confederation, residing primarily in the Kintail area of Northwest Scotland.
Migration and dispersion due to various reasons such as economic hardships, wars, and search for better opportunities have scattered bearers of this surname around the world. Today, the McCravy surname is predominantly found in the United States. It's more common in the southern states, particularly in South Carolina, Texas, and Georgia, but it is still considered a rare surname overall. Families with the McCravy surname can also be found, albeit in smaller numbers, in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
Variations of the surname McCravy
The last name McCravy traces its roots to the Scottish clan MacRaith, which was later anglicized to MacGrath and McGravey. Other variants of the name evolved, following different paths of phonetic transformation and interpretation in spellings such as Magrave, McGrave, Magreevy, MacGravy, McCreavy, and McCreavy.
The addition of the "Mc" or "Mac" prefix suggests an Irish or Scottish origin, respectively, with both meaning "son of". The McCravy variant often appears in records from South Carolina and Georgia, indicating a possible migration path and regional pronunciation influence.
Other recorded spellings include McCraevy, McCravey, and McCrevy. However, there are also rarer variations such as MacReavy, McGravy, and MacCraevy.
One should note the variations of the surname can often be a result of transcription errors or phonetic spellings from verbal accounts. This shortfall particularly applies to older historical records. For instance, one family with the surname McCravy might have also been recorded under different surname variants in different documents due to these inconsistencies.
Moreover, it's crucial to mention the various spellings when conducting any genealogical research to ensure no important family history is overlooked. Please note that the complexity and fluidity of surnames' history can make precise matching challenging.
Famous people with the name McCravy
- Bo McCravy: Bo is an American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer.
- Clifford McCravy: Clifford is an American hurdler and sprinter who won bronze medals in two separate events at the 1988 Summer Olympics.
- Jerry McCravy: Jerry is an American politician and former member of the South Carolina House of Representatives.
- Delbert McCravy: Delbert is an American former professional basketball player who briefly played in the NBA.
- Shannon McCravy: Shannon is an American professional racer and former NASCAR Cup Series Driver.
- Richard I. McCravy: Richard is a former member of the South Carolina Senate and also works as a lawyer for the Nelson Mullins law firm.
- Ryan McCravy: Ryan is a former professional golfer who played on the Nationwide Tour.
- Trish McCravy: Trish is an American television actress who has appeared on Southland, NCIS, Criminal Minds, and other shows.
- Bob McCravy: Bob was an American professional baseball player who pitched for the Phillies, Orioles, and Red Sox during the 1930s and 1940s.
- Larry McCravy: Larry is an American politician who served in the Oklahoma State Senate.