Surname Meeke - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Meeke: What does the surname Meeke mean?
The surname Meeke is of English origin, rooted in the Middle English term "meke" which refers to "meek", "gentle", or "humble". Traditionally, such names were often applied as descriptive names or nicknames that referenced a prominent characteristic or attribute of an individual. Therefore, a person bearing the surname Meeke was likely an ancestor known for their humble and gentle nature. Like many surnames, Meeke would have been passed down through generations. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation, often known as Poll Tax in England. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to unfold and expand often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling. It is important to remember that these are general interpretations of the surname, as surnames have complex histories and can have multiple origins and meanings.Order DNA origin analysis
Meeke: Where does the name Meeke come from?
The last name Meeke originates from England. It's derived from the medieval English given name 'Meek' or 'Meech', which is a diminutive of names like Muriel or Amicia. These names are brought to England by the Normans during the conquest of 1066. The names Muriel or Amicia come from the old French words for love or friendship. Hence, Meeke as a last name can be understood to mean 'love' or 'friend'.
While the Meeke surname has spread around the world following British colonization, it remains more common in England. A significant amount of people with the Meeke surname can be found in the United Kingdom, specifically in regions like Yorkshire. The surname is less common in the United States, but there are some families with the Meeke surname in states like California, Pennsylvania, and New York. You can also find this last name in other English-speaking countries like Canada and Australia, but overall it's still relatively rare worldwide.
Variations of the surname Meeke
The surname Meeke is of Anglo-Saxon origin and comes from when families lived in the village of Meaux in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Over time, many spelling variations of the surname Meeke have been recorded, including Meek, Meeke, Meeks, Meik, Meeches, Meach, and Mekie. Several researchers have also found the spelling Meacham comes from the same origin.
Sometimes, similar variants may also be linked to the Meeke name. The McMeekin, Meikle and Mickle surnames, common in Scotland, could be related as the prefixes "Mc" and "Meikle" both indicate 'son of' and may have been anglicised to Meeke over time.
It is also suggested that the name Meakin might share similar roots. These surnames all have the common feature of meaning 'small' or 'meek'.
The name Meeke is also found in other forms like Magee, Megie, or M'Ee due to pronunciation and regional dialect variations. Lastly, it's worth noting that many Irish and Scottish families migrated to the new world, so Americanized versions of the name might also exist.
Famous people with the name Meeke
- Kris Meeke– British rally driver, racing for Toyota Gazoo Racing WRT since 2019.
- Gail Meeke– American reality television participant, contestant on America's Next Top Model Cycle 21.
- Jo Meeke– British actress, known as a series regular on the television series In the Club.
- Warren Meeke– South African musician and diamond miner.
- Emily Meeke– English former international swimmer.
- Kelly Meeke– Irish television presenter, reporter, RTE's World Cup and European Championship soccer reporter.
- Eleanor Meeke– British actress, known for roles in Clapham Junction and Queens of Diamonds.
- Jackie Meeke– English banker, private banker to the Royal Family.
- Tom Meeke– English actor, known for roles in I, Claudius and The Living Dead.
- Colleen Meeke– American singer-songwriter, recording artist on E1 Records.