Surname Meeks - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
iGENEA DNA Test: A Heartwarming Voyage Through My Ancestry and the Rediscovery of Meeks as More Than a Surname
Embarking on an emotional journey through my family lineage, iGENEA's DNA test carried me deep into my ancestry, transforming my views towards my family and my surname, Meeks. The experience imparted a unique sense of belonging and gratitude, every family memory becoming treasured, every shared name carrying shared history.
Y. Meeksread more
Meeks: What does the surname Meeks mean?
The last name Meeks is of Anglo-Saxon origin and is derived from the Old English word "meek" or "mēc" which refers to a humble and modest person. The name was typically used as a nickname for someone who portrayed these characteristics of humility, gentleness, or kindness. The surname could also be linked to the medieval personal name "Mecock," a diminutive of "Matthew." It is important to note that during the Middle Ages, it was common to give nicknames based on personal characteristics or traits, which often became surnames passed down through generations. Therefore, Meeks can be considered to represent an ancestral line of people who were considered meek in character. The early records show variations of spelling, including Meek, Meeke, and Meeks. The name is quite popular in England and the United States.Order DNA origin analysis
Meeks: Where does the name Meeks come from?
The surname Meeks primarily originates from England, particularly northern England, and Scotland. The name is derived from the medieval nickname "the meek," meaning "gentle" or "humble." It was usually given to a gentle, mild-mannered, or humble individual. It could also have been a name for someone who performed the role of a 'meek' in a medieval play, a person who inherits the earth.
Today, the surname is common in both the United Kingdom and the United States. In the UK, it tends to be more concentrated in Yorkshire. In the US, it is most prevalent in the states of Texas, California, and Florida. However, it is also frequently found in other English-speaking countries, including Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. It tends to be more common in regions that saw substantial English and Scottish immigration.
Variations of the surname Meeks
The surname Meeks, mainly found in English-speaking countries, belongs to the category of hereditary surnames. There are several variations and spellings of this surname, influenced by regional and cultural differences, as well as phonetic and linguistic changes over time. Some of these variations include Meek, Meke, Meach, Meech, Meak, Meekes, Meakes, and Meachs.
In some cases, an 's' on the end of Meeks could indicate a patronymic form of the surname Meek, meaning "son of Meek."
This surname can also be found in its plural form "Meekes," as well as in compounds like "Meekins," a diminutive form meaning "little Meek." The variants "Meik" and "Meeke" are specifically Scottish.
Additionally, Meeks could also be an Americanized spelling of the Dutch surname "Meeus."
The surname Meeks originated mainly from England and Scotland, It's derived from the medieval given name Meek or Meech, which means humble or modest. Over time, it has spread to other parts of the world, including North America, due to migration.
Famous people with the name Meeks
- Robert Meeks: Former professional baseball player who played for the Detroit Tigers and Philadelphia Phillies in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
- Jessica Meeks: Writer, actor, and producer best known for her work on the television series Rectify (2013–16).
- Wilbur Meeks: American musician, singer, songwriter, and producer of alternative rock, punk rock and hip hop music.
- Lee Meeks: Former member of the Kansas state legislature, who served four terms as a Democrat in the House of Representatives.
- Tim Meeks: Technology industry executive who held a range of roles from engineering and product management to marketing and brand strategy.
- Patrick Meeks: Award-winning American actor known for roles in the films The Artist (2011) and The Place Beyond the Pines (2012).
- Larry Meeks: Professional NBA coach who has been a head coach for seven teams in the league, most recently the Los Angeles Clippers (2014–15).
- David Meeks: Award-winning American film director, who is best known for his work on the documentary film South of Ten (2015).
- Wardell Meeks: American politician who served in the Arkansas Senate from 1975 to 1981.
- Jeff Meeks: Former professional baseball player who played for the New York Yankees, San Francisco Giants, and Chicago White Sox in the 1980s and 1990s.