Surname Oen - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'O'
Oen: What does the surname Oen mean?
The last name Oen is of Norwegian origin. In Norway, it is often used as a topographic name for someone who lived on an island. In Norwegian, "Oen" means "the island." This last name was often given to individuals living in isolated areas such as an island, or a place surrounded by water. The surname could also reflect ancestral residence in a place named with this word. It follows the traditional Scandinavian pattern of surnames which are usually derived from either a patronymic, occupational, or topographic origin. Therefore, the surname Oen can be indicative of the geographic origin, the ancestor's profession, or the father's first name. It is worth noting that the spelling and pronunciation of surnames have evolved over centuries and different branches of the family can sometimes bear different surnames. In this case, the surname Oen may have variants.
Oen: Where does the name Oen come from?
The last name Oen is commonly found today in parts of Europe, primarily Norway and Finland. It is also found in other Scandinavian countries like Iceland and Sweden. Additionally, the last name Oen is present in Canada and the United States.
Within the United States, the most heavily populated areas for the last name Oen are in the Mid-west, particularly in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Illinois. The Oen family was among the earliest settlers in the United States from Sweden which may explain the prevalence in the Mid-west states.
In Norway, the original origin of the last name Oen, Oen is most commonly found in the counties of Oppland, Sogn og Fjorande, and Buskerud. In Finland, where it is spelled Oenen, the family is concentrated in the cities of Helsinki and Porvoo.
Throughout Europe, North America, and Scandinavia, the last name Oen is relatively common with a large population of individuals who can trace their family name back to a single origin. Although the name may be spelled in different ways, it is still linked to the same family roots.
Variations of the surname Oen
The surname Oen is most likely derived from the Dutch given name Johannes. It has a variety of variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin.
The most common variant of the Oen surname is Oenen, which is spelled with an “e” at the end. Other spellings include Oenn, Oeyn, Oeyen, Oyn, and Oynen.
The Dutch given name Johannes can also produce a variety of surnames. Some of these include Johannsen, Johannson, Jonisen, Jonsen, and Jonsson.
Surnames derived from the Dutch given name Johannes are common in many countries around the world, especially in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Scandinavia, England, Scotland, and Ireland.
In addition to its variants and spellings, the Oen surname also has several variations including Ohe, Olighe, and Ohm. The Olighe and Ohm forms of the Oen surname are especially common in the Netherlands and Germany respectively.
Finally, the Oen surname also exists in Romania where it is most commonly spelled Oane. This variant is likely derived from the Latin given name Johannes.
A variety of variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin are associated with the Oen surname. These include Oenen, Oenn, Oeyn, Oeyen, Oyn, Oynen, Johannsen, Johannson, Jonisen, Jonsen, Jonsson, Ohe, Olighe, Ohm, and Oane. These surnames are common in many countries around the world, especially the Netherlands, Germany, and Romania.
Famous people with the name Oen
- Grace Oen, an actress, film producer and philanthropist
- Kurt Oen, a former Norwegian footballer
- Maikel Oen, a Dutch Paralympic swimmer
- Si-Ser Oen, a Taiwanese football goalkeeper
- Niels Oen, a former Dutch speedskater
- Eric Oen, a Danish badminton player
- Bente Oen, a former Norwegian handball player
- Rune Oen, a retired Norwegian footballer
- Marius Oen, a Norwegian triathlete
- Hanne Oen, a former Norwegian alpine skier
- Terje Oen, a Norwegian ice hockey player
- Amanda Oen, an American soccer player
- Terje Oen, a Norwegian football defender
- Torstein Oen, a Norwegian cross-country skier
- Ingrid Oen, a former Norwegian long-distance runner
- Gunn Oen, a former Norwegian swimmer
- Pal Oen, a retired Norwegian Nordic combined skier
- Hege Oen, a former Norwegian biathlete
- Stine Oen, a former Norwegian Alpine skier
- Sophie Oen, a former Norwegian forward handball player