Surname Cabrera - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'C'
Cabrera: What does the surname Cabrera mean?
The surname Cabrera originates from Spain and is derived from the Spanish word "cabra" which means "goat." Therefore, Cabrera can be literally translated as "goatherd" or "place of the goats". It is a topographic name for someone who lived by a goat pen, an occupational name for someone who raised or took care of goats. The name Cabrera could also refer to someone who lived in a place named ‘Cabrera’. This includes several locations in Spain, such as the island of Cabrera in the Balearic Islands or many towns named La Cabrera. It's a common Hispanic surname found in many Latin American countries due to Spanish colonization. Notable people with the surname Cabrera include the Venezuelan baseball player Miguel Cabrera and the American musician Ryan Cabrera. The coat of arms of the Cabrera family features goats, symbolizing the name's origins.
Cabrera: Where does the name Cabrera come from?
The last name Cabrera is of Spanish origin. It's derived from the Spanish word "cabra," which means "goat," and the suffix "era," which refers to land or property. Thus, the name can essentially be translated as "a place where goats are kept." Historically, the name likely originated from a place name or a job title relating to goat rearing.
The Cabrera surname is most common in Spain, where it first appeared. It is especially prevalent in the regions of Andalusia, Catalonia, and the Balearic Islands. Over time, the name has also spread to Latin America due to Spanish colonization. Today, you can find a high concentration of Cabreras in countries like the Dominican Republic, Cuba, Mexico, and Argentina. Additionally, due to diverse migration patterns, the surname is also present in the United States, particularly in states with high Hispanic populations. Despite these specific concentrations, Cabrera is a widely recognized surname in many Spanish-speaking countries all over the world.
Variations of the surname Cabrera
The surname Cabrera has Spanish origin and it primarily originates from Castile, a region in Spain. The name is derived from the Spanish term "cabra" meaning goat, and "era" meaning land area, indicating the initial bearers of the surname may have been a goatherder or lived in a region plentiful with goats. The surname evolved over time and acquired different spellings. Variants and alternative spellings of the surname Cabrera include: Cabrero, Cabreira, Cabra, Cabral, and Cabrillas. The Castillian word 'cabrera' can also transform into 'Caprara,' an Italian variant.
Similarly, variations of Cabrera can be found in Portugal known as Cabreira or Cabral. Despite the slight transformation of spelling, the surname's origin and meaning remain the same. The surname Cabrera can also be a Jewish (Sephardic) surname. Some Jewish variants are Kibrick, Kabara, Kabare, Kabra, and Kabri.
All the names are predominantly used by Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Jewish cultures. The transformations occurred mainly due to regional dialects, linguistic characteristics, and influences from other cultures.
Famous people with the name Cabrera
- Ryan Cabrera: American pop rock singer and musician.
- Asdrúbal Cabrera: Venezuelan professional baseball infielder.
- Jose Cabrera (full name Jose Ramon Nova Cabrera): Dominican professional baseball player.
- Miguel Cabrera: Venezuelan professional baseball player, considered one of the greatest hitters in Major League Baseball.
- Everth Cabrera: Nicaraguan professional baseball player.
- Roberto Cabrera: Popular Mexican judge known for his role in the Mexican version of The Voice.
- Leonel Cabrera: Argentine footballer who plays as a defender for Gimnasia y Esgrima.
- María Isidra de Guzmán y de la Cerda (better known as Isidra de Guzmán Cabrera): Spanish noblewoman, was declared the first woman Doctor of Law.
- Cándida Montilla de Medina: Dominican social worker and psychologist, maiden name Cabrera.
- Orlando Cabrera: Colombian former professional baseball infielder.
- Salvador Cabrera: Mexican professional wrestler.
- Francesc "Cesc" Fàbregas Soler: Spanish professional footballer, his mother's maiden name is Cabrera.
- Alberto Cabrera: Spanish professional tennis player.
- Madison Cabrera: Dominican baseball player.
- Fernando Cabrera: Puerto Rican professional baseball player.
- Melky Cabrera: Dominican professional baseball outfielder.
- Al Cabrera: Spanish-Cuban baseball shortstop.
- Jolbert Cabrera: Colombian former professional baseball player.
- Erika F. Mayshawn (Erika Cabrera): American model and actress.
- Teodoro Cabrera: Mexican politician and a member of the Institutional Revolutionary Party.