Surname Claasmeier - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'C'
Claasmeier: What does the surname Claasmeier mean?
The last name Claasmeier is of German origin and has several possible meanings. It is most likely derived from the word “Klaas,” which is a given name derived from the Germanic name Nicholas, meaning “people’s victory.” It could also derive from the German root “Mair,” meaning “movable estate,” suggesting that the bearer had ratified land rights. Another possible origin is from the word “claws,” which means “hard” or “strong” and could represent the strength of character of the individual.
Variations of the Claasmeier surname include Classmeyer, Klasmeyer, and Klasser. These surnames can be found most frequently in Germany and other countries where German culture is influential. It is unknown when the Claasmeiers first established themselves in Germany, but records suggest that the family likely arrived in the area during the Middle Ages.
Claasmeier is used either as a patronymic or occupational name, suggesting that the bearer was the son of Claus, or that the ancestor was a clerk in the employ of a noble household. Over the centuries, the Claasmeier family has established roots in various locations and integrated into the surrounding communities.
Today, the Claasmeier family continues to be a vibrant part of the German landscape. This beloved surname honors an ancestor with strong character, and the bearer of the name can take pride in their family’s dedication to preserving their heritage for generations to come.Order DNA origin analysis
Claasmeier: Where does the name Claasmeier come from?
The last name Claasmeier is most commonly found in Germany today. This is due to the large number of German immigrants that moved to America in the 19th century. In fact, according to census records, the name Claasmeier is over three times as common in Germany as it is in the United States.
The name is most prevalent in the west-central region of Germany. The archdiocese of Cologne (Köln) has the largest population of people with the last name Claasmeier. German-speaking parts of Switzerland, such as Zurich and Basel, also have a notable population of the name.
As for the origin of the name, some records indicate it to be of Dutch or Low German origins, meaning "son of Klaus." Others suggest it to be from the Germanic word “Klassenmayer,” meaning a master of ceremonies. In any case, it is likely the name was first used in the Rhineland region of western Germany, which is considered part of the North-West Germanic language area.
In modern times, the last name Claasmeier is a unique one, but it is still common within the German-speaking world. Those bearing the surname can be found in North America, Australia, and New Zealand, where German immigration is also present.
Variations of the surname Claasmeier
The surname Claasmeier has a long history and many different variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin.
The surname Claasmeier was originally derived from a Germanic name, which at that time was spelled Clancosmar. This spelling gradually changed over time and became Claesmayer and Claesmeyer. Later variations included Klausmeyer, Claussmair, Klaasmeier, Claasenmire, and Claasmeyer.
The southern German spelling of Claasmeier is Clausmeier, and the Dutch spelling is Klaasmeier. This same origin is sometimes spelled in other ways such as Kleczemier, Clasmeier, Clausenmayer, and Clausmeyer.
In the United States, the surname has been variously spelled Claasmeier, Klassmeier, Claesmeier, and Clausmeyer.
The surname Claasmeier has been historically common in Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, and other parts of Europe. It has also been occasionally found in the United States.
Variants for the surname Claasmeier include Clasmeier, Klasmeier, Klosmeier, Klausmeier, Klausemeier, Klaasenmeyer, Claussmeyer, Klasmeyer, Kleczemier, Clasenmayer, Clausmeyer, and Klecsmair.
Today, due to emigration and migration, the surname Claasmeier can be found all over the world.
Famous people with the name Claasmeier
- Art Claasmeier: a former outfielder in Major League Baseball who played for the Philadelphia Phillies.
- Will Claasmeier: an American Major League Baseball pitcher. He is currently a free agent.
- Kyle Claasmeier: an American singer and songwriter. He is most known for his acclaimed debut album, It's All You.
- Richard Claasmeier: a German lawyer and politician of the Christian Democratic Union. He was former Deputy Prime Minister of Brandenburg from 1990 to 1998.
- Franz Claasmeier: a German classical composer and pianist. He is known for his compositional works in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, often focused on religious works.
- André Claasmeier: a former German footballer and manager. He played as a forward and was most recently the head coach of the Hannover 96.
- Ardrey Claasmeier: an American actress, best known for her roles on television series such as The Bold and the Beautiful and Days of Our Lives.
- Storer Claasmeier: an English lawyer and legal scholar. He was Master of Downing College, Cambridge from 2007 to 2013.
- Carol Claasmeier: a German author, best known for her books such as The Secret Lake and The Girl in the Mirror.
- Peter Claasmeier: a German engineer and entrepreneur. He founded and built several companies, and is currently the president of Wolf Group.