Surname Wakefield - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'W'
Wakefield: What does the surname Wakefield mean?
Wakefield is a surname of English origin that derives from a place name. The name is composed of two Old English elements: "wacu", which means "wake" or "watch", and "feld", meaning "field". This suggests it was originally given to people living near a field used for some kind of communal purpose, possibly related to a communal watch or patrol area for a village or settlement. In many cases, the last name was likely adopted when families moved from Wakefield, a town in West Yorkshire, England, and named themselves after their former hometown. It was a common practice for people to adopt the town or region’s name as their last name when moving to a new location, especially if their original surname was common and could lead to confusion in their new area. As a surname, Wakefield dates back to the early 13th century and has spread in various forms throughout England and later to other English-speaking countries, including the United States and Australia.
Wakefield: Where does the name Wakefield come from?
The last name Wakefield is primarily found in the United Kingdom today. However, as an English surname it is found all over the world, particularly in some parts of the United States and Canada.
Wakefield is thought to have originated as an English surname during the Middle Ages in the area of Wakefield in West Yorkshire. Records of the name from around this period include records of a William de Wakefield dating from 1201 and a Richard de Wakfeld in 1332.
The name Wakefield is thought to have two potential origins. Firstly, it could be derived from the place name Wakefield, which itself is thought to have originated from the Old English personal name "Waca" meaning "watchful" and a second element of "feld", indicating open country. Alternatively, the name could be derived from the Middle English words “wack” meaning “active” and “feld” meaning “field”.
The Wakefield surname has grown in popularity in the United Kingdom over the past 100 years, particularly in England but also with smaller concentrations in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. It is also popular in some parts of the United States and Canada where people with English ancestry may have moved.
Variations of the surname Wakefield
The surname Wakefield has a number of variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin. Wakefield itself can be spelled in a variety of ways, including Wackfield, Wakfield, Wakefeild, and Wakfeld. The surname is also found in other places in Europe as Walkefeld, Weikfield, Wiekfield, and Wykefeld. In Scotland, the surname has mutated to Wakefar, Wakefarr, Wakever, and Wakver.
In England, the surname has mutated to Wackfield, Wakefelth, Wakefell, and Wackfild. In Germany, the surname has mutated to Wackfeld, Wakfeld, Wiekfeld, and Wiekfelth. In Ireland, the surname has mutated to Weakfield, Wakefielde, Wackfielde, and Wackfilde.
In America, the surname has mutated to Wakefeild, Wakefield, Wakefielde, Wakefelder, Wakefeller, Wakfielde, Weckfield, Weakfield, Weakfelth, Wagfield, Wackfeld, Waddfield, Wakfel, Wackflield, Wackfel, and Wackfielder.
Variants from other languages include Venkfeld (Czech Republic), Vekfeld (Finland), Wekfild (Poland), Wakfeldt (Lithuania), Voukefelis (Greece), and Wakerfield (Scotland).
In conclusion, there are many variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin for the surname Wakefield. The spelling and pronunciation of the surname have changed over time and with different countries and cultures. Therefore, research and understanding of its history can help individuals find the original and current spelling of the surname, allowing them to better understand its roots and origin.
Famous people with the name Wakefield
- Jessie Wakefield: Canadian model and reality television personality.
- Heather Wakefield: British Member of Parliament and trade unionist.
- Alex Wakefield: American voice actor and musician.
- Scott Wakefield- American Christian music artist.
- appearances in soap operas.
- John Wakefield: former professional baseball player.
- Seth Wakefield: Australian rules football player and coach.
- Russell Wakefield: Pulitzer Prize-winning Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom.
- Sam Wakefield: British singer and songwriter.
- Monica Wakefield: American film producer and businesswoman.
- Bruce Wakefield: American author and illustrator.
- Roger Wakefield: American physician and author.
- Peter Wakefield: British author and sculptor.
- Patrick Wakefield- British actor and theatre director.
- Philip Wakefield: Australian professional BMX Rider and stuntman.
- Teesha Wakefield: Canadian actress and singer.
- Thomas Wakefield: British historian and academic.
- Will Wakefield: American record producer and engineer.
- Zena Wakefield: British artist and professor.
- Charles Wakefield: politician and civil rights activist.