Surname Wooderson - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'W'
Wooderson: What does the surname Wooderson mean?
The last name Wooderson generally has English roots and is associated with Old English words. The name Wooderson is historically linked to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. It is derived from when the family resided near a patch of land with thick, dense woods. The name Wooderson literally refers to one who lived in or near an area of dark-colored wood.
Wooderson can also refer to an occupational name. At the time of the Middle Ages, when surnames first started to be used, people usually adopted the name of their profession or trade as their last name. Thus Wooderson, which comes from the Old English word “wudu” meaning wood, was likely used as an occupational name to indicate that the original bearer of the name was a woodworker, woodcutter, or a builder of things with wood.
It is believed that the Wooderson family were descendants of the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain, who arrived in the British Isles some time during the 5th century AD. Since then, these British families have spread all over the world.
The Wooderson surname is very unique and is often associated with strong characters in popular culture, such as the main character in the movie Dazed and Confused, who was known for his carefree and rebellious nature. The iconic character of Wooderson has made the surname memorable.
Wooderson: Where does the name Wooderson come from?
The last name Wooderson is commonly found in multiple areas in the United States. While it may have originated in England centuries ago, there are a number of families that claim the surname Wooderson in this country.
The largest concentration of Woodersons are living in California, particularly in the Los Angeles area. The area has a population of close to 4 million people, and many of them can trace their roots back to the Wooderson name. Other states that have a large population of Woodersons include Texas, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Florida.
Woodersons can also be found in Australia and New Zealand, as well as in Canada and the United Kingdom. The last name is not as popular in other countries as it is in the United States, but there are some families with the surname living in other parts of the world.
Wooderson is a unique and distinctive last name that has been around for centuries and has been wide spread throughout the world. Today, many families proudly carry the Wooderson name and trace their roots back to one of the few ancestral sources: England.
Variations of the surname Wooderson
The surname Wooderson can have many variants and spellings. The most common alternatives are Woodarson, Woodison, Woodisson, Woodisson and Woodson. It can also be spelled as Woodersonne and Woodersonne.
Variants with different pronunciations can include Woderson, Wuderson, Wederson, and Wedderson. Other variant spellings include Wodderson, Wodderson, Wudersonn, Weddersonn, and Wedersonne.
Surnames of the same origin as Wooderson include Wordeson, Wordison, Woodingson, Woodisonne, Woodingsonne, Woodwardson, Woodringson, Woolerson and Wylerson.
Wooderson is a popular surname in England, with a prominent presence in the North East of England. It is less common in the United States, although there have been increased sightings in recent years. It is also found in Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.
The sources of the name Wooderson are varied. It is a Middle English habitational name derived from one of various places named with the elements 'wood' meaning 'woods' and 'ers' meaning 'functioning area'. The surname is also descended from a nickname derived from the Old English 'wid' meaning 'wood', or from an Old English personal name, Wuduric or Wuduricula. It may also have emerged as an adoption of an Old French personal name, 'Gauthier'.
Famous people with the name Wooderson
- Matthew McConaughey: American actor and producer famous for his role as Wooderson in the 1993 film Dazed and Confused
- Jeff Wooderson: Former professional baseball player for the Boston Red Sox
- Nathan Wooderson: English actor known for his many television roles
- Tony Wooderson: English novelist most famous for his novels The World According to Wooderson and The Juggler
- Ryan Wooderson: Canadian television host, journalist and actor known for presenting The Wooderson Show
- Charlie Wooderson: British singer, songwriter and record producer best known for his hit single "Dance With Me"
- Sam Wooderson: Voice actor and musician best known for voicing characters in animated series such as SpongeBob SquarePants and Adventure Time
- Myke Wooderson: British filmmaker and actor
- Gail Wooderson: British civil rights activist and philanthropist
- Gary Wooderson: American football player and coach
- Dan Wooderson: Canadian jazz and blues musician and composer
- Lindsay Wooderson: Australian rock singer and songwriter
- Tammy Wooderson: American singer and songwriter best known for her single "Let Me Love You"
- Bob Wooderson: American stand-up comedian famous for his comedy specials on Netflix
- Kate Wooderson: British actress best known for her roles in the BBC soap opera EastEnders and the feature film Son of a Gun
- Joyce Wooderson: English stage actress and singer
- Sarah Wooderson: American lawyer and universe rights activist
- Arthur Wooderson: British artist and illustrator
- Maria Wooderson: South African visual artist best known for her abstract paintings
- Wendy Wooderson: Canadian Interior Designer and TV host