Surname Alberto - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'A'
Alberto: What does the surname Alberto mean?
The last name Alberto is of Italian origin and it is essentially a personal name, similar to how some other last names have come into existence. It is derived from the given name "Alberto", which is the Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese variant of the name Albert. The name Albert itself is of Germanic origin (Adalbert), and is made up of two elements: ‘adal’, meaning 'noble'; and ‘berht’, meaning 'bright' or 'famous'. Therefore, the surname Alberto can be understood to generally mean 'noble and bright' or 'noble and famous'. This name has been widely given in honour of St. Albert the Great, a 13th-century bishop and philosopher. It's important to remember that surnames can have multiple origins and meanings, and can change over time and geographical location.Order DNA origin analysis
Alberto: Where does the name Alberto come from?
The surname Alberto is of Italian and Spanish origin and derives from the personal name Alberto, the Italian and Spanish version of Albert. Albert stems from the Old German name Adalbert, composed of elements "adal", meaning noble, and "bert" meaning bright or famous. Over the years, it evolved into different variations, including Alberto. This surname is found in public records as early as the 14th century.
Today, the surname Alberto is common and widespread all around the world due to immigration and cultural diaspora. However, it is particularly prevalent in Italy and Spain, as well as in countries with historical Italian and Spanish influence. This includes many countries in Latin America, like Argentina, Mexico and Colombia. Additionally, it is also found in sizable numbers in the United States.
Variations of the surname Alberto
The name Alberto is of Italian origin and is a variant of the Old German name Albert, meaning "noble, bright". Some spelling variants of Alberto include Albert, Alberti, Alberte, Alberty, and Alberth. It also has some female versions like Alberta, Albertina, or Albertine in English, or Alberte in French.
Albert is a more common form used in English, French, Catalan, Dutch, Polish, Russian, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, Romanian, Hungarian, and Finnish languages.
In different cultures, the surname Alberto or its variations has regional differences. For example, the German variant is Albrecht, the Dutch variant is Aalberts or Alberts and the Danish/Norwegian variant is Albertsen. In Spanish, Alberto is also commonly used but can be adapted locally to Albertos. In French, it's often seen as Aubert.
The Scottish form of this surname is MacAlbert. The patronymic form is Albertson and its metronymic form is Albertsdaughter.
Remember, the name’s spelling might change depending on the countries and regions due to linguistic differences and variations. The surnames largely depend on the local naming traditions and customs in each country.
Famous people with the name Alberto
- Roberto Alberto: Renowned Brazilian footballer who played as a right-back and is often considered the best defender in the history of Brazilian football.
- Moris Alberto: Cuban singer-songwriter who has achieved worldwide success, particularly in Latin America and Spain.
- Arnold Alberto: A celebrated producer, songwriter, and music executive who has worked with a variety of successful artists.
- Carlos Alberto: Former professional footballer from Brazil. Known as "Capita", his goal in the 1970 World Cup final is considered one of the greatest goals in the history of the tournament.
- José Alberto: Famous salsa singer from the Dominican Republic, also known as "El Canario" (The Canary).
- Alberto Vargas: Notorious Peruvian painter best known for his works in the pin-up genre.
- Carina Alberto: Filipino actress and model who rose to fame after starring in the TV show "Be Careful With My Heart".
- Osvaldo Alberto: Argentine footballer who plays as a defender for Club Atletico Banfield in the Argentine Primera Division.
- Marlon Alberto: Colombian actor known for his work in telenovelas such as "El Señor de Los Cielos".
- Anahi Alberto: Argentine actress and model, primarily known for her work in film and television in Argentina.