Surname Mathes - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Journey Into My Past: Unearthing the Cultural and Historical Roots of My Surname Mathes via iGENEA DNA Test
As a result of the revolutionary iGENEA DNA test, I embarked on an awe-inspiring journey through time and history, unravelling the origin, cultural heritage, and migration routes of my ancestors, through the lens of my surname, Mathes. This journey opened up a rich, intriguing world where my forebears once thrived, infusing the past and present with newfound meaning and connection.
U. Mathesread more
Mathes: What does the surname Mathes mean?
The surname Mathes is of English and German origin and is derived from the given name Matthew. In the New Testament of the Bible, Matthew was one of the twelve apostles and one of the four Evangelists. The name Matthew comes from the Hebrew name "Matityahu" which means "gift of Jehovah" or "gift of God." Consequently, the surname Mathes could indirectly mean "son of Matthew" or "descendant of Matthew's line." It became a popular personal name after the Norman Conquest in Britain and resulted in various forms of the surname like Mathews, Matthews, and Mathes. The distribution of the Mathes surname is mostly found in the United States, followed by Germany, and then France. Remember that the exact meaning can differ due to a variety of factors, including regional and cultural differences.Order DNA origin analysis
Mathes: Where does the name Mathes come from?
The last name Mathes is of German origin. It is derived from the personal name Mathias or Matthew, which means 'gift of God'. The surname came into being in the Middle Ages, a time when increasing mobility of people required the adoption of a second, distinguishing name. Mathes may also be a patronymic surname, i.e., derived from the name of a father or ancestor.
In the modern world, Mathes is common in the United States, Germany, and France. Across these nations, there are thousands of people carrying this surname. In the United States, it is primarily found in the states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and California. In Germany, the surname is prevalent in the western and southern parts of the country. While it is not one of the most common surnames, it has a significant distribution in these regions.
Variations of the surname Mathes
The surname Mathes is derived from the personal name Matthew, meaning 'gift of God'. It has several variant forms and spellings due to the differences in cultural pronunciation and transcription. Some alternate spellings may include Mathis, Mathies, Matthes, Mattes, Mates, and Matthies.
Names like Mattheson, Matheson, or Mathieson also originated from the same root but include an additional patronymic suffix -son, indicating 'son of Mathes' or Matthew.
Due to regional variation, the name may also appear as Mateos or Matos in Spanish, Mateus in Portuguese, and Mattei in Italian.
In Germany, the name was written as Matthias or Matthäus, and often recorded with the patronymic ending -sen or -sohn, acquiring forms like Mathiassen, Matthiessen, or Mathissen.
Variations of the surname may also occur due to different pronunciation and spelling habits in different regions and cultures. In French-speaking regions, it would be Mathieu or Matthieu.
The Mathes surname also spread to Eastern Europe acquiring forms like Matyas in Hungarian or Matej in Czech.
Remember, these are potential variations and equivalents, but naming traditions and derivations can be complex, individual, and influenced by several factors.
Famous people with the name Mathes
- Bessie Mathes: ballet dancer and choreographer.
- Victoria Mathes: actress, known for her roles in Rescue Me, Neverland, and Twisted.
- M.G. Mathes: early 20th century baseball pitcher for the Chicago White Sox.
- Paul Mathes: film director and producer with credits for movies such as Eye of God and What's Wrong Bob?
- Leigh Mathes: Award-winning playwright and screenwriter with titles including A Bright Piece of Sunshine and The American Servant.
- Charles Warren Mathes: 20th century United States Army Major General and Chief of Staff of the United States Army.
- Michael Mathes: award-winning journalist based in Erbil, Iraq, formerly with Reuters.
- Claudia Mathes: award-winning travel photographer from Switzerland.
- Terrence Mathes: vocalist, songwriter and music producer with chart-topping singles under his belt.
- Tabitha Mathes: successful animal rights activist and dedicated advocate for the humane treatment of all animals.