Surname Camblin - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'C'
Camblin: What does the surname Camblin mean?
The origin of the last name Camblin is uncertain; however, it is a surname of French or Anglo-Saxon origin. It is believed to have evolved from the word 'cambrelle' which is a word from medieval French, representing a small wooden bridge.
Throughout history, Camblin has been a popular family name in England and France. It is most commonly found in the western regions of the United Kingdom and France; however, it is also believed to have originated from a locality or place name in the United Kingdom.
In words that evoke a classic French heritage, the name Camblin conveys the image of an aristocratic, sophisticated, and stylish family which bears the responsibility of walking into the future with grace and poise. It is associated with an extraordinary level of intelligence and innovation, as well as a laid back unconventionality.
The Camblin family has long been known for its well-rounded and easy-going attitude, warm hospitality, and unselfishness. These qualities are often attributed to the Camblin family name and have helped to create a bond within the family that is strong and unbreakable.
Traditionally, the Camblin family is known for their passion for the arts, widely respected for their technical expertise, and well-known for their entrepreneurial spirit. An undeniable commitment to hard work and an appreciation of the finer things in life are two of the core values that the Camblin family firmly stands for.
Camblin: Where does the name Camblin come from?
The last name Camblin is most commonly found today in the United States, Canada, England, Australia, and New Zealand. It is a relatively rare surname, however, with low concentrations in each of these countries.
The highest concentration of the Camblin surname appears to be in the United States, where it is most commonly found in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Arkansas. As of the 1940 U.S. Census, the surname Camblin had its highest concentration of population in the Deep South, particularly in Pickens and Greene Counties, Mississippi, and Cleburne County, Alabama.
In Canada, Camblin is most commonly found in the provinces of Manitoba and Ontario. In the United Kingdom, the surname is most commonly found in the city of London. In Australia, Camblin is most often found in the state of Victoria, while in New Zealand it is most commonly found in Auckland.
Overall, the surname Camblin is most common today in the United States, Canada, England, Australia, and New Zealand. However, due to its relative rarity, the surname has low concentrations in each of these countries.
Variations of the surname Camblin
The surname Camblin is of French origin and is derived from French places named Cambron or Cambresi. The variants, spellings and surnames of the same origin for the Camblin surname are: Cammellon, Cambleon, Cammellin, Camlibon, Cambleau, Cambron, Cambronne, Cambronneau, Cambresi, Cambrelin, Cambrello, and Camblay. In the United States, spellings like Cambronne, Cambronneau, Camblay, and Cambleau are highly unlikely, while other spellings like Cambleon, Cammellon, Cammellin, and Cambrello occur relatively frequently.
In areas outside the United States, the spelling of the Camblin surname has changed significantly over time. In France, the Camblin surname can be spelled Cambronne, Cambronneau, Camblay, Cambresi, Cambrello, and Cambrelin. In England, the surname is commonly found in the spellings Cambron, Cammellon and Cambleon, while in Germany, the spelling is often Cambresi. In Spain, the surname is usually spelled Cambron or Cambleon, while in Italy it is commonly spelled Cambrelin.
In some areas, the Camblin surname has been further anglicized and changed into the spellings Camelin, Cambill and Gambleon. These variations occur in areas where the Camblin surname has been adopted into the local language, and are very common in the United States. In addition, the Camblin surname is also found in various spellings in other countries such as Canada, Brazil and Australia, as the surname has spread and evolved over time.
Famous people with the name Camblin
- Jenn Camblin: an American figure skater who represented the United States at the Winter Olympics in 1992 in Albertville. She is a four-time U.S. national champion and won a bronze medal in ladies singles at the Skate Canada International event in 1992.
- Tony Camblin: a linebacker for the Green Bay Packers from 1972–1976. He played college football at Syracuse University, and was selected in the 11th round of the 1972 NFL Draft by the Packers.
- Damon Camblin: an American former professional basketball player who played for the Dallas Mavericks and Boston Celtics of the National Basketball Association from 1994-1997.
- Kyle Camblin: a professional ice hockey player who most recently played for the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League.
- Joe Camblin: an American professional baseball player who played in the major leagues from 1949-1959. He was a first baseman for the Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs.
- John Camblin: an American former professional basketball player who was drafted by the Rockets in the fourth round of the 1987 NBA Draft, but never played in the NBA.
- James Camblin: an Australian sports shooter who competed in the 1920 Summer Olympics. He finished 23rd in the 25 metre military pistol.
- Grant Camblin: an American former professional hockey player who played in the National Hockey League for the Florida Panthers and Nashville Predators.
- Bill Camblin: an American former professional baseball player who played for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1999–2002.
- Steve Camblin: an American former professional basketball player who played for the Portland Trail Blazers of the National Basketball Association in the early 1990s.